Thursday, September 3, 2009

Different Sizes and Ages of Blooms for Blooming Friday

Katarina, at Roses and Stuff asked if we value larger or smaller blooms, whether we have a new flower that is blooming for the first time, or if we have any favorites we'd like to show. I had already exported photos, but was waiting so I could address her theme if she had one for Blooming Friday.

As for size, I go for variety. I like large ones for show, and smaller ones, which tend to bloom in groups, for filling spaces. I don't think I could choose one size over another.

This is my last daylily bloom of the season.



The octopus bellflowers have been blooming awhile. I like their color and shape.



The sea hollies have just been blooming a week or so. The liatris, a little longer.



I am very tickled that a few days after deadheading this clematis, 'Purpurea Plena Elegans' I planted last fall, it started blooming again.



I am pleased that since I have kept my stock deadheaded, it has bloomed so well all summer. It is an example of several small flowers clumped together.


I planted this Debonair mum last fall, and I think I showed the first bloom last week. This is the second one, and so far, that's all that have opened.



This is the September Charm Anemone I planted next to the mum last fall, and this is the first and only bloom opened so far.



I had to include this photo of the coneflower that was White Swan when I planted it, and last year, transplanted to my new front bed, where it changed colors. I guess I should quit deadheading now, but it has been full of blooms all summer.



The zinnias are continuing to do well, and a few sometimes do something different. This one has an extra set of petals.



Now, this dahlia, which I have been posting photos of a few weeks, has a nice large bloom, but is not the largest dahlias come. I had a larger kind, Vancouver, (shown in my October GBBD post) last year, and it needed more staking than this does, so far. I wish I remembered this one's name.



The strawflowers have been blooming all summer. I normally pinch the blooms off when they are at the stage the one on the right is, and dry them, but this year, I got behind, and kind of liked letting some stay on the plants longer.



I may have shown the second blooms of these delphiniums, but am so pleased with them, I wanted to show them again.


I am still loving my kiss me over the garden gate!



I think this is a salvia from a dried flower stock I put in the area from the volunteer by the driveway, which hasn't opened its blooms yet. Its parent is in last year's October GBBD post, too.



I think the next 3 are annual asters I planted in the flower box in front of the house.





I've shown these coreopsis before, too, shortly after planting them. I've had to deadhead them once, and now they are full of blooms again.


These snapdragons that survived the winter, and took turns blooming are now blooming together. I usually only let one plant stay when I plant annuals that have more than one in each cell of the container. I don't remember if I decided to do something different, or didn't notice at first, but once they had different colors of blooms, I'm surprised I didn't pick one over the other. Since they both came back this spring, I decided to let them be.



I took a few mature sprigs of salvia from a bed at church last year, and laid them around. This one just started blooming in the last week.



The jewels of Opar that came from seeds from one I had in a pot last year, are just starting to bloom.



The last photo subject is not a bloom, but the first of the beauty berry berries to ripen and turn their beautiful color. They are quite small, smaller than they look here. Small and large, flowers and berries can be quite lovely!


32 comments:

  1. A beautiful Bloom Day post. You have a lot of flowers in bloom! I like your new header photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it didn't work! Lemme try again.

    I think I forgot to add that part and let it use the Google Account name which is the default. Dotty me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to start over with my comment, what a goose I am tonight.

    It looks as if you took your purple crayon when you went for a walk, too, Sue. Lots of pretties blooming there.

    Did I tell you I learned a new trick? Use 'Name and URL' as your identity when commenting on Blogspot accounts. Clicking on your name will take the readers directly to your blog instead of to your profile. Click on mine to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue,
    As always, you amaze me with your blooms! I am falling in love with Dahlias this year. Yours is a beauty! \thanks for sharing these photos, and I hope your Labor Day is great.
    Rosey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue, I saw several plants that I'd love to have in my own garden. I am impressed by the variety of blooming plants this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the straw flower and berries, they are so lovely. Wished I had all these seeds and try if they can grow in my place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved looking at all your blooms. I honestly couldn't pick a favorite out of them because I liked them all so much. I envy your last daylily bloom. I do believe mine are history. Very pretty post today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Susan~~ I find it interesting that you simply laid the spent blooms and now you've got new plants. The seed must have been there just waiting for spring's warmth. I'll remember this tip.It's sure a lot easier than sowing them in peat pots. ... I'm still loving my Kiss-me too. It's been a bit windy the past few days and they've been dancing. It's another wonderful attribute to this amazing plant. I love the bamboo-esque stalk as much as the huge leaves and the pretty pink flowers. ... Speaking of which, my 'Purpurea Plena' is behind the now towering Kiss-mes. If it is reblooming I wouldn't know it. Methinks a design alteration is in my future. Your blossom is fabulous. Another of my favorites. ... I've got one more daylily too. The bud will probably open tomorrow. It's going to be sad to say goodbye. But time moves on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, you have strawflowers in your garden -that must be lovely!Have a great weekend!//Eva

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi!
    All photos were wonderful and beautiful.
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that's a lot of nice flowers! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sue, you do have a large collection of pink blooms! Beautiful post, as usual. The beauty berries are very pretty. I'd seen them on blogs but they're always worth a good look:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sue...what lovely pictures!
    I loved the strawflowers ...asters...clematis...practically everything you have posted..

    will come back to see more

    http://www.theurbanbalcony.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sue...what lovely pictures!
    I loved the strawflowers ...asters...clematis...practically everything you have posted..

    will come back to see more

    http://www.theurbanbalcony.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Sue,
    thank you for visiting and commenting on my blog Guildwoodgardens in Toronto, Canada.
    Nebraska is far away. Your garden is very lovely and includes a wide variety of flowers. Great pictures too!!
    We have one author in common:
    Tracy DiSabato-Aust. I have met Tracy in Toronto and she signed all of her books I purchased in the past. Tracy just published a new book: 'Well-designed Mixed Garden' available from Timber Press.
    Gisela

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sue,
    my blog address is:
    http://guildwoodgardens.blogspot.com.
    I have made changes to my blog.
    Gisela

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi there Sue in Nebraska! What a lovely post, I'm so impressed of all the incredible blooms. The 'Purpurea Plena Elegans' is now on my wishing list.

    Have a great weekend.

    Ps I saw Yes man with Jim Carrey yesterday (very funny)and there he visited your lovely Nebraska.

    greetings from Tyra in Vaxholm

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kis me over the garden gate and the octupus bellflowers so different and especially lovely

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an amazing array of beautiful flowers you have at the moment. The purple berries look so unreal!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amongst all your other lovely flowers today, I felt instant in love with your Clematis, Purpurea Plena Elegans, never seen any Clematis that beautiful before I think !!

    ReplyDelete
  22. As always, I'm thrilled by the beauty and variety of your flowers! The Octopus Bellflower is a new acquaintance for me - interesting!
    Katarina

    ReplyDelete
  23. You still have a lot of beautiful blooms! I love the beauty bush. Also loved the strawflower and clematis. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Sue - your garden is beautiful! What gorgeous blooms! It really has the feel of an English Country Garden. Does it smell nice when you walk through it? That's one thing I miss from living in the UK - the smell of a nice blooming garden.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I listed you on my blog as tagged for a Meme, but qualified it that you don't DO memes, so you don't have to do it. I just wanted to tag you so people who haven't been here could find your blog.

    Please do Click my name for the link and play the video.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your beautiful flowers brings back memories of my Grandmother...she was a lot like you...she has beautiful flowers too.
    Prayers, Bo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my goodness, your flowers are just gorgeous. Just gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lovely blooms Sue, my favs are the straw flowers and sea hollies, they tend to last forever! I was given some Jewels of Opar(?) from a friend but had no idea what it was called...I love the lime green of the foliage. Enjoy your holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  29. ...si lovely 'post'.
    ( indeed my nº 6 'window' was taken in North.Denmark, during holydays-3weeks.)
    You can translate my portuguese text with thw google-translator. So easy..
    Br... Victor(Lisbon)

    ReplyDelete
  30. ...Oh sorry only a simle a question: where is your home-town in Nebraska?

    ReplyDelete
  31. You can SEE my blog. Like a 'corner garden'...

    http://www.perfumedejacarand.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.