Monday, October 13, 2014

Curb Beds

Well, it is October, and I am finally accepting the fact that it is fall, and while the gardening season is winding down, it is not totally over.  After I took these photos of the curb beds, my battery died, so I decided to do some weeding and trimming.  I am remembering that October first was the blog's 6th anniversary.  Last year, I mentioned that I have not been blogging as often, and this year, it seems to be even less.

I am working to fill this area after taking out a number of day lilies.  It is shadier than other parts of the front, so I have put some things in that don't mind shade.  Hopefully, they will grow larger next year.


There aren't a lot of plants in bloom, but this rose has a few, after blooming much of the season.  It's been here a number of years, and this is the first one where I have a few volunteers from it.  I hope to get some moved to other spots in the yard in the spring.


I like to go around taking photos so I can remember from one year to the next what is growing.  The sedges have done well, as has the red blooming plant I got from a friend a few years ago, and the name is not coming to me.  It may be a persicaria of some kind.


The side oats grama and perennial geraniums sure are holding their own against each other!  Can you see what else is blooming?


The perennial geraniums sure have done well next to the curbs.


 Facing north and west now, the bare area is where I took down the common milkweed because it was diseased and dying.  It will be back next year.


Back to the west side, facing east, the 'Fireworks' goldenrod plants here and there are doing well.


Back to the front, the reblooming irises are doing their thing.  I am in the process of thinning out the irises.  While the blooms are pretty, they seem out of place to me this time of year.


Many of the plants on the other side are also planted in this area.


After taking these photos, I removed some of these irises and planted a big old clump of Fremont's clematis that had to be dug out from a bed at my church.  It split, and I was pleased to see new growth forming, so I was able to plant both in different spots.   I didn't have big hopes of it surviving, but now, I'm optimistic.  The grassy looking plants next to the prairie dropseed on the left are sedges, but I'm not sure what kind. 


This is looking back to the west.  There used to be mostly day lilies in this area, but I removed them to put more native plants in.  I think this is the third year for these.  The perennial geranium on the end has been there longer.  It almost looks out of place.  Maybe I'll take that out, too.


This is heading to the west and facing north.  I like the liatris blooms, even when they turn to seedheads.


This is a skullcap.  I can't remember which kind.  It's either 'Smokey Hills' or 'Mongolian Skies'.


Now that the English asters have seeded themselves around the yard, I am thinking about taking the two original clumps out.  They need frequent trimming to keep them from blocking the sidewalk, and they get the disease that causes the bottom stems to turn dark.  I'll have to think of something different to plant there. They sure have had lots of insect visitors!


The blue mistflowers have done well without spreading too far this year.  I am interested in seeing how they do next year.


Can you see the blue mistflower clump behind the side oats grama and other plants?  Hopefully, these will prevent them from spreading too far.


We had a good amount of rain this season.  I hope we get enough snow to provide good insulation for the plants this year, and that spring doesn't take too long to get here.  I hope all is well with you and your gardens.

12 comments:

  1. I always get excited when I see you have a new post up!
    I was surprised to see iris blooming.....
    I "studied" your approach to analyzing and planning for the future. I've basically lost an entire gardening season and am unsure how to resume. Not really feeling up to it just yet, anyway.
    For some reason, I don't remember seeing your stretch of "regular" grass/lawn. I enjoyed the photos taken from that angle...
    I love your Corner Garden and share your hopes about the winter, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing the transition in your garden. So many lovely blooms. I hope you'll come share this on The Maple Hill Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see so much still blooming in your garden, Sue. I love the seedheads this time of year, but I'm thinking I need to cut more of mine down this fall. The asters and goldenrod are taking over my butterfly garden, and the coneflowers have re-seeded like crazy, so I'd like to limit some of the spreading. We're getting so much rain, though, that it's been hard to find time to do everything I want to get done. I'm hoping for an early spring, too, but right now I'm hoping fall lasts until December!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Following the changes in your garden is always a delight, Sue. Irises may seem out of place for fall but they sure are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue, your garden beds still have a lot of life left in them. All mine are done for this year. I didn't know there were Iris plants that bloomed in the fall. Mine are identical in color but only bloom in the spring. I should see if I could get some ever blooming Iris. Are they as easy to grow as the normal Iris plants? I do need to rejuvenate my Iris bed. Well all of my flower beds need a good rejuvenating. Yeah, maybe next year. This year is coming to a close real fast and I have ton of things to get done before the ground freezes.

    Have a great day in the fall garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue I enjoyed seeing your curbside plantings...they certainly hold up and give lots of blooms and texture. Really quite lovely. I spied some reblooming irises which never happen here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sue! I well remember when you first began blogging... and it has been FUN watching your gardens evolve. Gardening is such a learning experience... and you have been a diligent gardener! (I hope your dog appreciates that he still has lawn!) ;-) Yes, the common milkweed will return... but I do find that persistent pulling will usually take care of it. (It spreads!) Happy Fall!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden looks great. I'm impressed by how full and lush your perennial geraniums are. This pretty much confirms that I don't have the right conditions for growing them--mine are puny in comparison. (It should have been a clue when half of mine died...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Bloom Day, Sue! I like what you've done with the curb corners and borders--they look great! You're lucky to have so many reblooming Irises! I don't have any of those. Oh, and your 'Fireworks" Goldenrod plants are so pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your garden does look great. Your style is somewhat similar to mine. What kind of Geraniums are those - any chance they are 'Biokovo' or renardii? I don't have any skullcaps, thinking I should get some.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've enjoyed watching your garden evolve over the years, Sue. I don't always comment, but I read each posting avidly. I must confess I like the reblooming irises, as they give a sweet reminder of spring -- wish I had some. Aren't perennial geraniums reliable? They are a great favorite of mine. P. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your garden looks beautiful. I love your asters, iris and skullcap.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.