Monday, November 2, 2009

Videos of Birds and Trees on my Street

Different people have told me how to post videos, but when I didn't try it right away, I forgot. Rose from Prairie Rose's Garden explained it in a way that clicked for me, and I went right to trying. I had to figure out how to export the video. For photos, I do jpg, and that's what I tried first, but that didn't work. I went back and exported it as "original". I didn't realize the icon next to the photo is where you click for a video. Thanks Rose!

So, here are the birds I was taking photos of for Saturday's Camera Critters. I think they are grackles, as some suggested that's what they are in my comments. When I get a chance, I want to post some of my monarch and other videos I took this summer. Professional, they're not, but I had fun shooting them. (I see the video showed up small. If you click control or command and the + sign, it will get larger. You can do this more than once, and it will get even larger. Be sure your sound is turned on, because that's why I recorded them. Their voices filled the air. They were quite loud.


I decided to add this video that was taken before the previous one, because it shows the fall colors of the trees on my street, first to the west, and then to the east.

13 comments:

  1. Congrats on posting videos! The first time I tried to it took an hour for it to upload! The color on your streets is beautiful. Established neighborhoods are so lucky! A cacophony of bird chirps and the wind is cool, too. gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look and sound like grackles. Those large swirling flocks they form are really impressive. It always amazes me how all of those birds disappear up into the top of trees that still have their leaves. Lovely fall color lining your street.

    Blue Toadflax is an annual or biennial, so the spread is easily controlled by mulching once the plants have seeded out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy seeing videos on blogs, it's fun figuring out how to do different things on them.
    The flocks of birds remind me of all the Crows we see here in the evening. It's amazing to see and hear that many birds at once.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue that was so totally cool! It was really neat to hear your neighborhood live. There is something really special about being able to share the sounds of your world with people so far away. Kudos for you getting the videos posted. I have never even considered it. whew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sue~~ The birds flying over reminds me of the movie The Birds. Maybe it's the black on gray [gray sky]. Kind of eerie but in a nice way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Congrats on first video uploads! I have not done this so far... for now Im sticking with pictures.
    Very lovely fall colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always imagined it such a lovely quiet street except for critters and gardners and Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job! What are you using to take the videos?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're right, the sound of all the birds overhead is the best part. Good job with the two videos. The golden canopy on your street is so pretty. I love to drive or walk down streets that look like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the comments. I forgot to mention that Heidi was in the back yard when I did this, and her barking can also be heard on one of the videos. She was letting me know she saw me and wondered why I wasn't getting her out to join me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice video! I may ask your advice on downloading them soon... I want to record setting the milkweed fluff on fire. I know how to use my camera to record the video (more or less, HA!) but I have no idea how to get it off the camera online!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sue,

    Love the videos... adds another dimension to your blog. Interesting how the birds become frantically active as they do... they know what's to come.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I forgot to answer Tufa Girl's question about what camera I use. That's because I needed to check to see what it is, and my camera hasn't been in sight when I'm on my computer. It's a Cannon Powershot XS10 IS. Instead of exporting it as a jpeg, I did it "as is" or "original", whatever the top choice was for me in Safari on my MacIntosh computer.

    I'm glad knew that was a film dealy next to the photo one you use when putting photos on your blog.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.