Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Wildflower Wednesday

I've been posting lots of photos from our yard, and the last post covered the area where I have the most wildflowers/natives planted, but many of the photos were from a distance.  I decided to go around and take close ups of some of the wildflowers that are blooming for Gail's Wildflower Wednesday.

Wild Quinine:


I've noticed that I see lots of pollinators on white blooms.


Narrow leaf coneflower, I 'm pretty sure:


Gray headed coneflowers:


The wild senna blooms are just starting to open today, for the first time in our yard.  I am thrilled!


Gooseneck loosestrife (in a tub to prevent its spreading)


Beautyberry bush:


Ratibida columnifera has a number of common names, including upright prairie coneflower, and Mexican hat.  I've grown these in pots before, thinking they were annuals.  I think I'll let them go to seed, hoping to get more than the three plants I have.


Gentian:


Whorled milkweed:


Rattlesnake master:


Short toothed mountain mint:


I decided not to cut back the baptisia after it bloomed, so it has seed pods.


When we first moved here, 13 years ago, I wanted to plant flowers in the area where the dirt was after our egress window was installed, but Larry wanted to plant grass.  When we went to a local nursery, he said if I planted these, false sunflowers, he would agree not to plant grass.  Little did he know how much actual grass he was going to end up giving up for flowers.  These are probably offspring of the originals, which are not in the original spot because they did not like where they were, and wilted almost every day.


Virginia mountain mint:


This mountain mint is in the flower bed in the east front yard.  I don't remember if I planted it.  The leaves and flowers are larger than the Virginia mountain mint, and smaller than the short toothed kind.


I'm not sure which kind of ironweed this is, but I found out the monarchs like it.  I found another kind and planted several of those the other day.


Black-eyed Susans:


Gail, thanks for hosting Wildflower Wednesday, and for the information you provide on pollinators.  I am still sad after a local news anchor had a bee keeper who is also an entomologist  come to spray the wasp nest under his deck a few days ago.  I looked in shock as they showed some wasps writhing and dying.  I buy my honey from this guy!  You know, there are not many fields of study where you are drawn in because of something you are interested in, then you are taught how to get rid of it, as in killing insects.  I know there may be situations where people may be in danger, but we are too quick to kill things.  We live two blocks from that TV station, and I want to invite the news guy to come see my flowers, and how close I get to the wasps and bees without being stung.

I get so tired of the garden centers getting to come on the radio, and even the local garden TV show, and promote their products that kill both plants and critters.  Today, even the regular announcers were talking like a person can't have a pot of geraniums on their porch without using chemicals to get rid of the little green worms that get on them.  OK, I better stop with my rant.  I do have to admit that I flushed a dozen or so ticks down the toilet that hitched a ride on our grandson and me after we visited a wetland area, and I do squish individual bugs that are eating on my vegetables, so I'm not totally innocent, but the only chemicals I use are the occasional Liquid Fence, in an effort to keep the rabbits away.

The temperature is supposed to get up to 101 tomorrow.  Whew!  I have been gardening from 6 to 7 a.m. before going to work at summer school.  I hope you are getting to spend time out in your gardens.

11 comments:

  1. Looks like your wildflowers are in full swing. Our prairie species are just starting to flower. Enjoy all the pollinators.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, I love all your flowers and I imagine Larry loves how beautiful they are (how can he miss mowing!) Rant away, I get mad every time I walk into a Big Box store and see all the pesticides...Then I get mad when I hear people afraid of a little bug on their flower. Going to my happy place now! gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, Your garden is so pretty. I am lovig the whites - I surely enjoyed your post today. Hope your week is going well.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sue, Thank you for stopping by my blog. I have been so tied up since I moved south in October I haven't been around to check or chat with you all or blog as much.

    Your white flowers are very pretty, I must remember to plant a few when I'm gardening again. I read on another follow bloggers blog ( A Diva's garden ) that one can keep bugs away from Hibiscus plants by spraying it with green tea and I'm wondering if this will work as a preventative for all plants. I hate chemical pesticides.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always amazed by the number and variety of natives and wildflowers you have, Sue--just lovely! I'm rather jealous of your gray-headed coneflower, though; I have tried to start these several times from seed with no luck.

    There was a time--many years ago--when I kept a can of Raid in my house and some outdoor pesticide in the garage. But no more. The only insects I really can't abide are Japanese beetles, and picking them off the roses into a soapy bath each evening is good therapy, I've found:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It a pity that lots of people have lost touch with nature and tend to kill what they fear. Gardeners like you know what is dangerous and what isn't.
    Enjoyed seeing your collection of wildflowers in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go ahead and rant--you're communicating with like-minded gardeners. :) Your wildflowers are beautiful, and I find myself asking "Did you redesign your blog?" It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Plantpostings,
      Thanks for your nice comments. I change my background photo with the seasons. While I do mess around with other elements from time to time, but haven't lately.

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry to hear it's so hot where you are too Sue. We are all stuck under the heat dome. Thank you for your kind comment on my blog. Your wildflowers/natives are lovely. I love my natives too. I planted them for their elegance and to attract pollinators and other beneficial insects. Happy WW to you.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sue, I am gobsmacked to see how many wonderful natives you've got growing in your garden. Also find it fascinating to see how many things are at the same place (blooming-wise) - and many others in my garden are at least 2 weeks behind yours. Here in Ontario, they've banned pesticides and fungicides for cosmetic use. We are using those little paper lantern like structures that mimic wasp nests - if you put them up early enough, the wasps won't build a nest where one "already exists". Certainly makes the sellers more creative about things if they can't just do easy and cheap.
    p.s.I've noticed that the shores of Lake Ontario are a lot clearer as are the feeder streams. The only downside is my lawn isn't going to win any prizes, but like you, I'm thinking maybe a few more flower beds might be in order.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sue thanks for visiting my blog, you have some beautiful wildflowers in your garden, I understand your feelings about the indiscriminate killing of wee wild creatures, here in the UK there have been lots of changes in the law re pesticides and biological control is promoted if people feel the need for control, I have to admit I keep a can of fly killer in my house as I hate flies in my kitchen but my garden is organic, I find most creatures have a preditor like the birds eat the slugs, I'm interested in your mention of something called liquid fence for detering rabbits, rabbits here only have very large birds as preditors as there normal preditors don't live on the island,
    thanks for sharing your flowers, Frances

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.