Saturday, January 26, 2013

A Bit Late for Wildflower Wednesday

I don't remember what I've posted for Gail's Wildflower Wednesday in January in the past.  I didn't think I had anything this time, but it was pretty nice out today, and I had a few minutes to go out and take a few photos.

Did you know there was a native heuchera, also known as coral bells that has quite pretty foliage?  I am pleased that I planted several of them, and hope to divide them to put in other spots as well.


It was a bit too sunny, but I wanted to include this clump, because the red in the foliage is more noticeable.


Here's a photo with the tag.  It's Heuchera richardsonii.  The blooms are smaller than the cultivars.


I was going to provide the link to this plant at the USDA database, but the site is temporarily unavailable.  Here's a different link that has some good information.  It's nice to have a plant that has foliage that looks this good in January.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Sue, it is so nice to see some foliage, love the reds in the heuchera. I did not know there was a native species of coral bells. It is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think anything other than brown is great for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, I've recommended this Heuchera to others but have not planted any myself. Looks like an excellent addition to your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All our foliage is now buried under a nice layer of cold-insulating snow, which is good because we've had frigid temperatures for a number of days now. I dream of spring...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty! I do love the one with the red foliage. These do not do well for me. I think it's too hot here for them. I envy you being able to have them - I think they are such a pretty plant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to try that one! I had more luck with Heuchera in my sunny garden, but maybe a native would have more luck in my part shade garden. It's lovely, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very simple picture but looking such beautiful. This is only happend for your presentation. Thank you so much for nice post.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.