Friday, April 15, 2016

Blooms!

I am inconsistent in my Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day posts, hosted by Carol, at May Dreams Gardens, but I am excited about spring, and wanted to share what I have blooming.  While I'm thinking about 60 to 70 percent of the plants in our yard are U.S. natives, some, locally native, non-natives seem to be in the majority for this time of year.  After looking at the photos, though, it is pretty close that at least the kinds of plants are about that proportion, even though there are more of some of the non-natives, such as the hellebores right now. 

Some of the plants are about finished, such as the pasque flowers and tulips.   I love the spent flowers on the pasque flowers.



Prairie smoke geum is one of my favorite natives.


I am tickled to have picked up several colors of hellebores over the years, and they are doing quite well.  I love the early spring blooms.


The rabbits have not eaten the prairie phlox down so far.  I am pleased to see a few blooms.


The groundplum milkvetch clumps have lots more blooms than at my last post.


Here's another hellebore.


I don't remember if this iris clump has been this short other years.


The perennial geraniums are just opening their blooms.



Bergenias are showing color.


As the daffodils are finishing up, the grape hyacinths are at their prime.


This is rue anemone, a spring ephemeral.


Merry bells is another spring ephemeral I enjoy.


I planted this false Solomon's seal in a tub, since it is a spreader.  It looks like it will need to stop spreading now, since it has no where else to go.


I have been enjoying munching on the violets in my salads.


These are from some salad greens that overwintered.  A friend said this is a mustard of some kind.


It was hard getting a good photo of the bleeding hearts, so I included one from farther out.


Virginia bluebells are one of my favorites.


I hope spring is going well for you.  Because of burning going on in Kansas, our air quality has been poor, so I spent more time inside this week than I wanted to.  I am looking forward to spending more time outside this weekend and next week.  It is supposed to be pretty nice out!

17 comments:

  1. the blue flowers are "muscari"
    bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jean. I knew that, but just didn't take the time to label it, thinking people knew that one. I kind of threw the post together while our almost 2 year old granddaughter was playing, but she was starting to do things she knows she is not supposed to do, like toss my unread newspaper articles off of the chair they were on. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Is the one hepatica? I enjoyed seeing your flowers, Sue. Your garden is just a bit ahead of things here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth, I have a clump of hepatica that is spent, so if this is one, it is a different kind.

      Delete
    2. Beth, I just enjoyed rereading your last post. I am posting much less often, but am not ready to give it up yet. I hope you come back and post a few photos of your blooms this year.

      Delete
  3. Wow! You are SO far ahead of us! I have really enjoyed seeing all your blooms in Corner Garden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue-your gardens are always a delight! So much in bloom---I'm very envious, but so glad you "share" your blooms with all of us. Have a great week in the garden

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sue, You have so many beautiful blooms! It doesn't seem possible we are in about the same growing zone in different parts of the country.....most everything is just breaking the ground here and it's still pretty cold so they are progressing slowly....
    I love the Pasque flowers too.....and you have so many wonderful Hellbore! It was a surprise to me to see your perennial geraniums blooming......ours will be much later......A beautiful post, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Flower Freak, I just enjoyed reading your last post, but was not able to leave a comment there. Yes, we are ahead of you, but the time since we were at your point has gone by quickly. I love this time of year, when we are seeing more and more come up.

      Delete
  6. I love Prairie Smoke and Virginia Bluebells, too. I planted some Bluebells from seed a couple of years ago, and they're still not blooming. Maybe next year will be the magic year! They're so beautiful! I'm wondering if that native spring ephemeral is Hepatica? Happy spring, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in awe of your Astragulus (groundplum milkvetch)! What a gorgeous clump! I think both the flowers and the blooms are especially nice on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you are ahead of us, Sue! My tulips are just beginning to bloom, and none of the perennials have even started yet. I love the Prairie Smoke--I think I accidentally pulled mine out the first year, thinking it was a weed. I really must try planting it again...and bluebells, love those, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found out that the small white blooming spring ephemeral is rue anemone, and remembered the one in the tub is false Solomon's seal. Thanks for the suggestions. I have a clump of hepatica, so knew it was different from that. http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=THTH2

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are quite a bit further along than I am. I had rue anemone in the woods at our old house and I think you've got the right name for that plant.

    ReplyDelete

  11. Lovely!
    Hellebores are really close to the top of my list of favorite plants
    Have a geat week!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every year you post pasque flowers, and every year I swear I have to have them! But it hasn't happened yet...LOL

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.