Friday, August 1, 2014

Side Yard Update

When I first started blogging a lot of my posts involved updates on different parts of the yard.  I have made some changes over time, but it still sometimes feel like I am posting "reruns".  Still, I will post so I can refer back to it over time.  I started this post a few days ago.  The other day, I decided to pull out the volunteer moonflower that was growing over the grass, either Little bluestem or Prairie dropseed, which is in front of the pot of mint.


Love lies bleeding volunteers are doing pretty well.  I'm glad to see the Phlox are pretty healthy this year.  I have Purple coneflowers all over the yard.  A couple monarch butterflies have been flying around the yard the last few days.  I have seen them land on the Liatris that has the top cut off in the photo a few times.


I recently told people in the Facebook group, Gardening with Nature in Mind, that the Buttonbush I planted here last year has different colors on its foliage, but, I see the leaves are green now.


I've been cutting back the Goldenrod, but see they are blooming what seems early to me, but maybe it's just because it's been a whirlwind of a summer.  It's hard to see the Leadplant to the right of the Globe thistle, next to the fence.


I have several types of  Rudbeckia laciniatas.  This one is Outhouse flower, 'hortensia'.


This is very similar to the one a couple ago, but I am including it because it is a wider view.


Globe thistle is one of the non-native plants that the bees feed from frequently.


The yellow blooms in the middle are False sunflowers.  I deadheaded them today, careful to leave the new buds on.  The bushy plant in front of it is Amsonia, I'm thinking, tabernaemontana.  I trim it back a couple or three times a season.  I can't remember what the feathery plant is that is similar to Amsonia hubrichtii.  It looks like it will be blooming soon.


Oh, here's a close up of the False sunflowers, the first plant that Larry was willing to have planted instead of grass in the area dug out for the egress window when we first moved here.


Continuing to the south, toward the front yard, are some of the same plants as down the way.  I seem to have lots of yellow!  When the aster to the right of the bird bath blooms, it will add some purple or blue.


I moved some of the Short-tooth mountain mint to the area in front of the fence just to the left of the bird bath this spring, and it is doing well, but the plants in front of it, such as a volunteer yellow coneflower of some kind are taller.  I'll have to decide whether I want to keep them as is, or switch them around.


I'm glad I trimmed back the Rudbeckia laciniata cultivars back in the spring so they wouldn't flop as much.  Still, I do have them tied up at the base.  This one is 'Golden glow'.  Now that I'm looking things up, this could be the same as Outhouse plant, but I'm not sure.


I think the Black eyed Susans are volunteers here.


The pollinators sure love Liatris!


I try to remember to cut back the Quaking grass back before the seeds ripen, because they self sow too aggressively for my garden.


This Campanula spreads too far for here, too, and I am currently behind in thinning it out.  I sure like the blooms, though.


I can remember this is Rudbeckia laciniata 'Herbstsonne' because the blooms are different from the others down the way.


The Catmint blooms for a long time.   It's probably time to deadhead it, though.  Asters and Goldenrods will be blooming yet this season.


I just planted this Liatris and Amsonia this season.  I hope they are larger next year.  I place watering cans in bare spaces, but then, sometimes the plants fill in around them.


So far, I haven't seen any Genista broom moth caterpillars on the baptisias.  (I copied and pasted the name of the caterpillars, and now, can't figure out how to get the normal font back.)



We made it to the end of the bed, and are now facing back to the north. The plant loaded with blooms may be a salvia of some kind.



Yes, there is lots of yellow right now!


It's been a very busy summer. Our yard was on that neighborhood garden tour, our daughter and daughter in law and I looked at LOTS of houses, and finally found one for our daughter to move into, which we were involved in helping with.  We had a baby shower, and Ruby was born June 22.  I was spending as much time as I could hanging out with Ruby until my 83 year old dad became ill and had his gall bladder taken out, was it 3 or 4 weeks ago?  It's been such a blur.  The day after he got home, he had a major stroke, which we knew he was not going to be able to recover from.  It was very difficult seeing him lie there, unable to move his left side, swallow, or speak.  He passed away less than 2 weeks after having the stroke, a few days after being moved to hospice care.  We were pleased with the care he received.  I am sad, and miss my dad, but I'm glad he is no longer lying there like he was.  Now, I hope to catch up with things a bit before our daughter goes back to work August 12, as I will be watching Ruby 4 days a week from around 12:45 to 9:15 pm.  I will have mornings to garden, so that will be good.  I hope things are going well for you.

17 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear of your loss. My condolences.

    I have a hard time cutting back my catmint--it starts looking a bit "shaggy" , and yet the bees are still all over it.
    Your phlox looks very healthy. It's the first year I can recall that I don't have any mildew on mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, Thanks for your comment. I just got back from visiting your blog. It was good timing, as I always enjoy your end of the month round ups. I don't remember why you turned the comments off. I miss being able to leave one on your blog.

      Delete
  2. Dear Sue ~ I am so sorry for the loss of your Dad.

    You've had such a bush summer and it was a treat to see your overflowing, colorful gardens once again.

    Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your dad. It's so difficult seeing others going through so much. Glad he is now at peace.

    Your garden looks wonderful! So many unusual plants that I've not heard of before. The globe thistle with the bee on it is stunning!

    Congrats to your daughter and enjoy watching your new grandbaby! No doubt you'll be teaching her how to garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A prayer for peace in the midst of life's challenges. Also a heartfelt thanks for sharing your garden. Your blog provides me the opportunity to take a break, sit down and enjoy God's creation via the beauty provided in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It wouldn't seem like reruns if we visited in person frequently and walked around looking at various plants and discussing your garden. The blog posts feel as if we're visiting and seeing changes and hearing what you are thinking as we look at different plants.

    I know your garden is a comfort during this time of sorrow. What a joy to have Ruby with you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, mercy! You HAVE had a busy summer. I send my condolences on the loss of your father. My 87 year old father is still doing pretty well, but my mother is in a special care unit for dementia and declining quite rapidly.....

    Your flower beds are beautiful. I admire your mastery of flowers' names! I'm so confused with all the Rudbeckia, Black-eyed Susans, etc. I despair of ever knowing what is what. I DO know that I love the lavender coneflower and just this week brought a transplant home with me. I so hope it survives!

    Enjoy your August forays into your lovely Corner Garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sue,
    Your summer has been crazy to put it mildly!
    I'm so sorry that you lost your dad and hope that little Ruby brings great joy to your lives.
    You have so many different flowers in your garden. It's wonderful to see what is blooming......never boring! You and your garden have encouraged me so often!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sue! It is so fun to visit, after having been "absent" for awhile! I am sorry to hear about the various ups and downs you've experienced... and now, with the loss of your father. I understand this sadness. I found that Mourning during the mornings in the garden to be very healing. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry for your loss Sue. I hope your memories of him bring you peace. Your garden is looking glorious this summer as always. Mine is being over run by nutsedge and bermuda grass :-(

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many useful volunteers in your garden.

    It's always a sad time to lose a parent I am sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sue: This has been a whirlwind of a summer for you--highs and lows and everything in between. I'm thinking about you and praying for you. Your garden and photos look better every time I visit here. Beautiful plants!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry for the loss of your Dad, Sue. I hope your lovely garden and the grandbabies help to bring you some comfort and peace.

    'Hortensia' is much too lovely a plant for a name like Outhouse Rudbeckia:) I love all these tall beauties you have. Your side yard is looking wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sorry for your loss, Sue. Congratulations on your new granddaughter! Joy and sorrow.
    Your garden is looking fantastic - so colorful. The butterflies in our gardens LOVE verbena bonariensis - they spent a couple of hours out there tonight. I decided to take the camera out and got some good pics.
    Blessings, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  14. My goodness, you have had a busy summer. I'm so sorry to hear about your dad, but then again, congrats are in order on the birth of your new granddaughter. I have a new buttonbush that is one of my new trial plants from Proven Winners. It was only a few inches tall in May, but it has gotten a lot bigger by now, and has pretty, multi colored foliage. I'm curious to see how big it gets, and what the blooms look like. It's a dwarf type. Like you, I'm afraid that I often repeat things here over the years, but I still like to record what goes on in my garden. It's basically a garden journal for me.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.