Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Wildflower Wednesday

I've noticed that Gail, from Clay and Limestone, hosts Wildflower Wednesday.  (I am so scatterbrained!  It's the 4th Wednesday of the month.  Well, by then, I'll have different ones blooming, so I am going to go ahead and post this.)  I sometimes forget which of my plants are wildflowers, which are natives, and such.  I do remember seeing pasque flowers on a wildflower list, and Googled them just to be sure.  I tried to find a list of spring blooming wildflowers in Nebraska, but the few plants I found, I don't have.  I have spiderworts coming up, but since I have 3 different colors, I wonder if they are all considered wildflowers still.

Even my pasque flowers are not the same as each other.  I have enjoyed some from a former co-worker of my husband's, (I think), and last year, I purchased a couple more from a company in our state that sells a lot of native plants.  The blooms on the new ones look to be larger and more downward facing than the other ones I have.  Hmm, are both considered wildflowers?

First, I'll post photos from today of the ones I've had awhile, and already posted some photos of.


The new ones:


Head on over to Gail's and see what kind of wildflowers she has blooming, and join in if you have some wildflowers.  (Do that on the 4th Wednesday of the month.  In the meantime, go ahead and check out to see what else is going on on her awesome property.)

18 comments:

  1. These are interesting with their down turned faces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sol ovely and magical with their fuzziness. wish I was there seeing them with you ,.sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw my first pasque flowers at a nursery last year. I thought they were so pretty with the colors and fuzziness. Yours are beautiful Sue. I did not know they came up so soon in the spring which is an added plus. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they are lovely indeed. You know if you just put them up higher you can be looking up directly into their pretty faces. Then they they'll just be bending down to smile at you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think they are lovely indeed. You know if you just put them up higher you can be looking up directly into their pretty faces. Then they they'll just be bending down to smile at you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Pulsatilla. Your new ones look like mine (or as mine looked before the heat got to them). I wouldn't worry too much about whether a plant is a cultivar or not. A cultivar is just a genetic variation on the species, and diversity is what adaptation is all about. (Or is it the other way around?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are just beautiful! I am so glad that you did not wait to post this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh, we both posted pasque flower pics today..... lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those Pasque Flowers, both the color and the lovely fuzziness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are so cute blue hairy fellas.
    Truly interesting to see them sprout and flower in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sue! I love pasque flowers, too. I have a new variety that was planted last year... it's returned (yea!). :-)

    I especially love the Dr. Seuss-like seed heads that are formed after the blossoms fade.

    Your header photo shows Spring work in progress... where did the water hydrant go?? (That's always your dog's landmark!) ha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting flowers thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the colors of these flowers :) Thanks for sharing Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sue, I am glad you joined and showed this lovely plant...Isn't it a gorgeous beauty...the color is wonderful, but I love it's fuzzy head! Are you totally loving spring and your new kitchen! gail

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Sue~~ Your Pasques look delightful with their little hairs and shy faces. My neighbor grows these but I never have although I'm not quite sure why. They are delightful little gems.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are lovly wildflowers. I will look for them when I go hiking.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.