Friday, April 23, 2010

Blooms for another Friday

I don't remember planting this.  I had started to ask for help identifying it, then looked up ajuga, and think it's adjuga reptans.  The leaves look a little different, but the blooms look the same to me.  I'm assuming these stems sticking out all over are looking for soil to take root in.  I have some chocolate chip ajuga that I decided not to plant after finding out it's poisonous, and now this has popped up.  I'll have to figure out what to do with this, as it's right at our grandson's level.


Here is a closer photo of the blooms.


I have had these in a washtub in the back yard for a couple years or so, and asked for the ID last year, but don't remember if I got it.  I'm thinking it's a wildflower or a weed.


I did a search to figure out what my smaller comfrey with blue blooms is called, and all I could find was dwarf comfrey.  The photos did not show blue flowers, but maybe there are different kinds of it.  I moved this plant to this location a couple weeks ago, and it doesn't seem to mind.


I've shown the Prairie Smoke geum already, but it wasn't as full of blooms, and this is a better photo.


I just spent some time digging out the tags that I had in the house for my perennial geraniums, but I don't think I found this one.  It was small when I planted it last year.  I'm glad to see that it survived winter and has grown and is beginning to bloom.  I love the foliage on it.


I can't remember the name of this geranium, either, but it bloomed spring through fall last year.


This one, I just planted this year.  It' is 'Visions'.


This is 'Orkney Cherry'.  I just planted it this year, too.


The lilies of the valley have lots of buds and a few open blooms.  I didn't notice the insect on this one until I saw the photo.



Here's one of my favorites of the pansies that are just beginning to bloom.  I have some in the front, and some to greet us just out the back door.



To see more blooms or post yours, go see Tootsie, from Tootsie Times, as she hosts Flaunt Your Flowers/Fertilizer Friday.  Her button is in my sidebar.

17 comments:

  1. lily of the valley my son's birth flower- you have some real unusual ones and delicately lovely so much color in a short spanse. Once spring pops it's such fun !! sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful pictures you are so knowledgable. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the pretty little blooms you have going on in your garden right now Sue. You know I've never been able to get Lily of the Valley to take hold in my garden. Which is weird since supposibly it can be quite invasive, lol. Love that Geum (Prairie Smoke)the flowers are quite unusual. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything seems to be budding out and doing nicely for you. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your garden blooms today. I really enjoy Prairie Smoke when it goes to seed. You really have some fun plants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't let your ajuga get comfortable in your lawn. They are hard to remove, once they get a "toe-hold!"

    The photo above "Visions" is a hardy geranium... don't know the variety.

    Happy Spring... things are really moving along over there! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely geraniums and the geum is really pretty, too. Yay--a Monarch Waystation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty blooms! Love the hot color of that pansy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's difficult to pick a favorite flower from these photos,Sue, but I think it has to be the pansy for its rich color.

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely blooms, Each one is great!

    I liked pansy and lily of valley

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your Prairie Smoke and geraniums!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Sue;
    So nice to see so many pretty flowers blooming in your garden.

    I saw your note regarding Bush Clover -- You should go for it! It's a very xeric flower. I grow it out near the street where it gets lots of abuse and very little sprinkler action. Let me know how it goes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything is so Beautiful...as I was looking I thought this is my fav...no this one is..no this one...the winner is..the Pansy !!!!
    Prayers, Bo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sue, I wish the monarchs traveled through nashville~~How exciting to be a way station on their incredible journey! I planted geums, but they haven't even budded...way too much rain and clay soil! Btw, that is a fantastic pansy! gsil

    ReplyDelete
  15. I see you figured out that was an ajuga. You always have such unique plants growing in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lucky dog Heidi is to have her own personal fire hydrant in her yard! Those lily of the valley blooms are lovely--and the little insect was a nice bonus. You've got a lot going on in your garden, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your Irises are stunning, and the creeping phlox is to die for! In our neck of the woods the tulips are just beginning to fade and I can see the blooms just forming between the leaves on the irises. I can't wait! Your lily of the valley are adorable too - the bug is so cute sitting atop that little flower like he owns it! :)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.