Saturday, June 13, 2009

Wrens and Wild Squirrels for Camera Critters

Coming home from ladybug inspection across the street the other day, I noticed a house wren taking up residence in our bird house Larry hung on a shepherd's hook.  I'm not sure if he expected occupants, or if it was for decoration.  We really need to learn more about the proper placement for homes for critters.  I did look it up after taking pics, but couldn't find out if this home is going to be safe wobbling about in the wind.  I imagine they'd abandon it if we moved it to a safer place.  Any information would be appreciated.  I have a friend who lives on an acreage and puts out homes for blue birds.  She does not like wrens, but when we lived at our first home, which was on 3 lots, I enjoyed the wrens.  They would come watch me garden.

What I have pics of here, was something that was ongoing.  The bird kept putting things in for a nest, looking out, and then flying off for more.






While I was across the street with the ladybugs, I noticed a lot of squirrels around, both there and at home.  They sure were frisky, and one came toward me like it was going to charge me.  I stood up, and it scampered to the closest tree, then tried to have a staring contest with me.  I've had that happen a time or 2 at home, too.  I tell you, these squirrels are too tame for my comfort!  Later in the day, I saw a bird perched on the trellis.  When I opened the front door to take some photos, a squirrel dashed across the porch, less than 3 feet from me!  Then, one by one, 3 or 4 more dashed through the bushes where the snakes had been, and ran, either across the porch, or did a side step and went across the front of it.  It looked like either a crazy race or some kind of chasing game.  They were so fast, I couldn't get decent pictures of them.  I had to include at least one, though.  This was after they ran across our front to the neighbors, then scattered, some to the street, some back into our yard.  I counted at least 8.  Usually, I see 2 at a time at the most.  Oh, dear!

To see more critters or link yours, go to Camera Critters.

13 comments:

  1. What a great critter post. I have never put up a birdhouse so can't offer you any advice there but I will be interested in what others have to say as I would like to one day. Enjoyed your photos, thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're lucky to have so many critters around your house. We used to have bird houses but they kept eating up the garden so my husband took them down. I miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love wrens. We had them start working on a nest in a birdhouse, but then left. I think the squirrels kept running across the top of it and scared them off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that a bird moved into the house. I should think of hanging a couple. I watched a couple of birds take apart an old nest and flew off to build it some where else. What great shots you got from yours. :-)

    Oh, and about the tripod. I rarely use it. I don't like lugging it around and attaching and removing the camera so I take my chances. The tripod stays in my truck but rarely comes out to play.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh neat, you have such fun critters around the area to watch and to learn from. That's really neat that the little bird decided to make the birdhouse home... he looks like he's nice and cozy up in there!

    Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wren built a nest in one of the hanging baskets at work; seems to be fine even with the strong winds we've been having.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bird houses are hung on tree limbs where they wobble in the wind and seem to do well. Yours should be okay. Wrens are my favorite summer bird. How could anyone not like them? Now squirrels, I'm not a big fan of them. Too destructive and if you've ever had one in your attic, you know what I mean. Love the wren photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I look forward to the wrens every year. For some reason, they decided to go to another bird house this year. Made me sad. I even cleaned it out for them. Maybe next year. They eat a ton of bugs, so they are good for a garden. But the squirells, sorry, but I HATE THEM, they are not my favorite. I know people think they are cute, but I think they eat anything and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would suggest putting the bird house in a more secure place after this season. Wouldn't want to disturb Mistress Wren. We have squirrels that taunt Willie. He likes to chase them up trees.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sue~~ Eight squirrels? Sounds like an entire family plus a few out of town relatives. I wonder if someone in your neighborhood is feeding them. This could explain their fearlessness, maybe. I think it must be my garden cats that keep squirrels out of my backyard.

    I like wrens. I can understand if they are mean to other birds but I guess I don't pay attention to that. We have bluejays nesting in a tall Arborvitae hedge behind us and I'm thinking I'd better net my blueberries.

    Great photos, Sue. I love the little wren peaking out from his/her new house. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd leave the wren house for now. Very cute pictures. Why doesn't your friend like wrens?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for visiting my blog Sue.
    I've really enjoyed reading your post about the wrens and squirrels. I will be checking out the rest of your blog.
    Great pictures too. I especially like the one of the little wren peeking out of his new house.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.