Monday, June 22, 2009

Moonflower Vine

Edna, from the Cottage Garden Forum, asked about Giant White Moonflowers. I don't know if mine from last year are the Giant Whites, but they grew quite a lot, and seemed giant to us. I have forgotten how to post photos there, and am taking a quick break from my house cleaning, so I'm posting here so she can see a photo, as she asked if anyone had one.

This is from August 13, 2008. The moonflower vine is on the left, and tie dyed morning glories or their babies are on the right. This is the west side of the deck, so it gets full sun. There is just a small amount of soil exposed where it's planted between the deck and the sidewalk, so it doesn't dry out as much as it would if more of the ground was exposed to the sun.



The next 2 photos were taken August 30th. Closer to the house is Sweet Autumn Clematis. The moonflower vine is as exuberant as the clematis, and even has come up between the wood slats on the deck. It's easy to cut back where you don't want it, though.



The morning glory (left) and moonflower intertwined.


I didn't get any moonflowers planted this year, but hopefully, some of the little plants coming up are moonflowers. I'll know soon. It doesn't reseed as much as the morning glories, which are sending up seedlings to replace the ones I'm pulling out. I love growing them so much, though, that I'm willing to pull out the extras.

12 comments:

  1. I agree with you, morning glories are worth the trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan~~ Although the vine grew beautifully, I could never get any moonflowers. Yours are absolutely fabulous. Morning Glory, however grew so well (too well) that I said no more. This was three years ago and I'm still pulling seedlings! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am missing my morning glories! Used to grow like weeds in Nebraska! Beautiful pictures, I hope they continue to flourish for you. Thanks for the nice comments on my blog, you are sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful vines and photos, I never heard of moonflowers before, they look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Moonflower Vine; the beautiful white, the delicious fragrance and the way the fading flower twists when it closes....I hope you have a few vines, too. gail

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh so gorgeous! I found you through gardenweb btw - so glad I did too because I was gifted some moonflowers and wasn't sure what they were!

    Love your garden too!!! Got to be one of my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue, your photos from last year are wonderful. I grew Heavenly Blue last year, but didn't really have it in the right place. So this year I put it at the bottom of out tall deck where I had wires going up to and along the rails.On the lower deck, I did the same with Moonflowers. Am hoping they look as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sue, I grow morning glories but have never had a moonflower vine. I love the name, so romantic.
    Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. The two look great together! I can imagine how wonderful it'd be when both are in full bloom. Morning glory was so fussy about water - it seemed to me that it can drink gallons a day and missing watering it even once in a day would lead to severe wilting here! I lost my beautiful vine to darned aphids last year :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I miss the fragrance mine bit the dust several years back

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chandramouli S's comment about the morning glory needing lots of water is interesting to me. That's probably why mine look wilted during the hottest part of the day. There are a few yellowed leaves at the bottom and I thought maybe they were getting too much water. Here I thought morning glories were something I could plant and forget about and still have nice flowers. Wrong, again! Your moonflowers are very nice looking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I grew Moonflower one year and the flowers were not fragrant. Disappointing. The flowers were still lovely though.

    I love your new header shot! Your garden looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.