Tuesday, June 9, 2009

More Spooky Dianthus

I forgot to mention in the last post that Spooky dianthus is sold in 4 or 6 packs as annuals, and like other kinds of dianthus, I have had it survive winters in the pots they are growing in.  The flowers are mixed colors, mostly shades of pink, light purple and white.

Last year, I put these 2 in the ground to hide the fading foliage of some daffodils, which you can see behind them, not ready to be pulled.  The other day, I trimmed back the knautia that was beginning to sprawl, and uncovered them blooming away.  I should plant more in the ground!




The next 2 photos show the one on the left closer.




The other ones have a bit wider petals.



I don't think I've seen these anywhere but B&B Greenhouse.  I don't know why.  I have been buying them from them for over 10 years.  They never have their own label, but the owners write their name on another dianthus one.  I just Googled them, and there were places that sell the seeds.  

9 comments:

  1. What an interesting plant, I've never heard of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool! I've never seen anything like this before. Thanks for sharing! -Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That flower is really different from the "normal" Dianthus. I may have to try growing it next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sue~~ I love dianthus and these look awfully tempting! You've got great taste, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw your post with them on there the other day. So different looking...I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - that IS a cool looking flower! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen anything like that in our local greenhouses. I would have had some in a flash if I could find them;)

    I'll keep watching for them.
    Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooo, those ARE spooky, and very cool! Thanks for showcasing them here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, I love these. I have never seen them before. Thank you for posting them. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.