Monday, June 8, 2009

A Fun Surprise

I've been buying annual phlox from my favorite local greenhouse for a number of years.  They bloom all summer.  I don't recall them seeding, but that's what they did last year.  I'm glad I didn't pull them when I first saw them growing in a circle around the edge of the tub they were in.  One of the pansies has come back or else reseeded as well.

6/18/08:



10/14/08:



The rest of the photos were taken yesterday, 6/7/09.  I planted "Spooky" dianthus, also from my favorite nursery, in the center before I knew what was growing on the edges.



The phlox have different colors than their parents.  What fun!



Pansy:



Spooky:




None of the phlox are exactly the same colors as each other, either.





11 comments:

  1. Very beautiful flowers! I especially like the Spooky. They are lovely! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice surprises indeed. My pansies reseed. Love the phlox and the spooky!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the annual Phlox. Is your 'Spooky' Dianthus fragrant?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes gardening is "like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all your flowers,but 'Spooky' is really beautiful !!
    Prayers,Bo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue: That Spooky is just beautiful and captured so well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! You have quite the talent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those dianthus! I will definitely look for them at my local garden centers. Isn't it funny how different greenhouses carry completely different plants. I've never seen those phlox.
    Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. The spooky dianthus is too cute for words!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of the flowers are so pretty. I just love the plox re-seeding...
    I have never had that happen for me. The pansy is pretty too.
    Spooky would be a nice addition to my October garden....
    I shall look for it.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the containers you used and the phlox are so beautiful! We used to live in Omaha. Now in Colorado, it's just a one challenge after the other. I miss the NE summers. Not the mosquitoes!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.