Sunday, June 21, 2009

Daylilies and Friends

Meet Wally, the daylily I saw a photo of on the ivillage GardenWeb Cottage Garden Forum last summer. I decided I had to have one, and found a mail order company who I also purchased some other daylilies from. They are all doing well, and when I saw Wally was open this morning, I went out in the rain and took photos of the blooms that were newly opened the last day or two.



I took another photo later in the day. I think it gathered itself up well, after the rain dried off, and displayed a lovely pose for the camera.



This is the first of the row by the street in front of the veggie garden to bloom. There were 2 blooms open today.



This is a Shopko red that was originally planted about 6 years ago, but was moved to this curb area last summer and looks to be continuing to be a good bloomer.



I moved this last year, too. I don't remember where I got it, but it's a nice plant, too.



I think this is Monarda Pink Delight. I am delighted with it!



I was thinking this was a salvia of some kind, but it's looking like a veronica to me. Do you know what it is?



I finally got a glare free photo of these pansies, but couldn't get one of them with the dark blue ones in the pot with them.



This Helenium has been in the bed for a number of years, and is blooming earlier than usual this year. Usually, I give it a trim early in the season, and it gets bushy and the blooms are later. I didn't get that done this year. I hope it blooms until fall. I'll plan on keeping it deadheaded.


My husband, Larry, has a water garden. One of his water hyacinths is blooming. Kanak, from Terra Farmer posted an interesting article on this plant. I just happened to read it yesterday, when the first bloom had opened, and found out each bloom only lasts a day, so I went out as it was getting dark out and got a photo. Then, today, several opened at once, so I took this photo:


I have summers off because I work at a school. I am amazed at how quickly the days fill up with things to do, and I end up longing to be in the garden more. We've had a busy couple of days, so I am excited for tomorrow, Monday, to get here because I will be able, if it's not raining, to have some uninterrupted garden time during the day. I hope you are finding a good balance with your time.

16 comments:

  1. Hi Sue, that plant you were wondering about is definitely a Veronica. I love your daylilies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so special I could look all day but unfortunately have a lot to do .sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! Sue, your garden is getting filled up with so many interesting plants. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, I am thinking Veronica...
    I love your Daylilies, especially with the fresh raindrops on them. Happy Gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I especially love that lavender and white daylily. Your pink monarda is beautiful. Don't see the pink as often as the red but I think I like it better pink being my favorite color.

    I agree the blue spires are veronica but which one I'm not sure. I have a blue just opening now too. Lost my red fox veronica to a drought a few years ago.
    Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely series and collection of flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so absolutely beautiful.We are going thru winter this side so that's the time I usually plant my bulbs so I went looking around for empty spot and saw new little plants coming out and realised because we are having a strange winter with rain(no rain usually) the plants think it's spring.So I had to take them all out into a box and I have taken them inside.When it's sunny I put them out for a while and then back in coz it's still really cold-even more so with the rain now.This global warming is really making everything crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the daylilies and monarda. All the years I've had water hyacinth in my pond, I've only had it bloom once. It's such a pretty flower.
    Hope you get your uninterrupted garden time, I don't know if I'll get much this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sue, lovely pictures as usual. Daylilies seem to be very easy to care for, I wonder why I don't have more of them. I had better remedy that situation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your daylilies! They are all so pretty!(-: I have several too and find them fun to grow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh those daylillies are spectacular...so pretty!!! I am really becoming very fond of them...this year I've added 7, but I don't know all of their names...I'm terrible about that. Plants in my garden are generally referred to as, "that yellow thing over there" or "that purple spikey thing next to the orange thing". :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous blooms, Sue! Especially the daylilies. I just now saw them over at Frances' Fairegarden. Her Palo looked so handsome just like your lovely ones. The Helenuium looks sweet. Ahhh! The Water Hyacinth - that was my first water plant! I still remember me running out to look at the blooms early in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your title photo. It is cute that your doggie has his own fire hydrant. We have one in our front garden also and I dont find it so cute. I love daylilies also and have a bunch. Your garden is so nice and neat.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sue, lovely assortment of blooms today! I think one of my lilies must be called 'Shopko Red' because it is almost identical to yours. I only have a couple of varieties, I don't know why I haven't put in more! You have a veronica there, for sure...I have the same one. What a beautiful water lily! It reminds me a little of an iris (With the blue shades). SO glad you have a break from school--hope your days have a bit more free time to garden!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sue, lovely assortment of blooms today! I think one of my lilies must be called 'Shopko Red' because it is almost identical to yours. I only have a couple of varieties, I don't know why I haven't put in more! You have a veronica there, for sure...I have the same one. What a beautiful water lily! It reminds me a little of an iris (With the blue shades). SO glad you have a break from school--hope your days have a bit more free time to garden!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful shots of gorgeous flowers. I love Monardia, and am growing a slightly redder version, that was all I could find this year. But the pink is my definite favorite.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.