Monday, April 13, 2009

The Package in the Mail Was for Me For a Change!


Jan, at Thanks for 2 Day, had a drawing for a book, and I won!  Jan is one of the first friends I made in blogging.  I remember checking out her blog because I liked the title of it.  I always enjoy her photos of the birds and blooms in her area.  Thanks, Jan!



I don't normally enter drawings, but since it was this book, I decided to go for it!



I had to include the photo from the introduction showing the frost on the budding plants.  That's the kind of plant we need around here!



This book does what it says on the back!  When it says it's a guide to growing hellebores, it means it, from seeds, soils, siting, care, possible diseases and pests, etc.  I love it!



These photos of my first and only (so far) hellebore, Party Dress Improved were taken a few days ago.  We've had some nights in the 20s, which I know is OK for established plants, but this one seems to be taking it in stride.  It is on the south side of the house, with a tree on the south to provide some shade.  If you enlarge this, you'll see the astilbe I thought didn't make it last year is coming up.  I think I have another spot for it, because it's too close to the hellebore.



When I bought the plant, I asked about taking the flowers off so the energy can go to the roots, but was told I didn't need to.  I also read that deadheading doesn't bring on more blooms, so I think I'll see if I get any seeds.



This one is still pretty, and there is one little bud, so maybe it's not finished blooming for the season.


Thanks again, Jan!

18 comments:

  1. CONGRATS on winning the book.
    Your flowers are looking really good.
    Prayers, Bo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Sue! It sounds like a great book and I knew when I read you won that you'd like it, since you're starting your Hellebore collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty! And you won a book--who doesn't love books?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Sue! I'm sure it's gonna fetch you more seeds this year and the book will help you grow hellebore better. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet you were happy to get that! It looks like a great boo, I may have to see if I can find it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue girl ! Now you are all set to KNOW about the helebore up close and personal : ) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Thanks for your well wishes. I am looking forward to reading more on the book at my break at work today.

    Have a great day or sweet dreams, depending on where you are and when you read blog stuff. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! Looks like a fantastic book.

    Cameron

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like that gift went to the right person! Congrats..

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a nice gift...and yes it went to the right person. have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's always exciting to get a package in the mail, isn't it? Jan is so sweet. Isn't it great to read something so useful too? It's nice to know that deadheading won't do anything for the plant, it lets you save your energy for something else!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How nice it is to win a nice gift!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just took some pictures of my Lenten Roses I will have to post one! Congrats on such a great prize!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks again, everyone! Ya'all are so nice! From what I read today, it looks like the place I planted mine is a good one, as it gets sun in the spring, and shade in the summer.

    Cate, I like that name, Lenten Rose. I hope you do post photos of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on winning the book! And your hellebores are gorgeous! I'm so envious that you have a double. Must find and buy one for Our Little Acre! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lucky Sue :) Congrats for the winning. I wish I knew about Hellebores. I noticed so many colourful flowers grow in cold weather, I wish I have some here :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sue, I just have to know what it says about starting Hellebore from seed. I bought the most beautiful seed packet for these- and it says you have to start them 15-20 weeks before you last frost- goodness! That would be November! I think! Be sure to drop me an email on what your great win has to say about it!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.