Saturday, April 25, 2009

My Favorite Locally Owned Nursery

I actually discovered B&B Greenhouse in the 1970s through Papa Geno's Herbs, who used to rent some of their greenhouses.  Most of the plants for sale are outside, but herbs and other plants are also inside some of the greenhouses.  Annuals are in the areas shown here.  The photos enlarge when clicked on.



Perennials and veggies are shown here:


I got permission to take pictures after I  had most of my shopping done.  Tigger was sitting next to a shopper on the counter where items are paid for.


Mary and Van are the owners, and one or both of them are always there when the place is open, and even when it's not. One of their daughters, whose name I know, but is not coming to my brain, also works there a lot, but wasn't there last night.  Mary, who is walking the other way in the next picture, told me if I want to take pictures of blooms, I should go into the greenhouses.


So, off I went, and enjoyed taking sky pics, too.


There were pansies and violas growing alongside weeds on the edge of this greenhouse, which has the side raised, I assume to regulate temperature or harden off the plants.



There were different set ups and things to see in the different greenhouses. A lot of the plants were either already sold, or not for sale yet, but I was pleased to pick out a couple black and blue salvias.  I saw a hummingbird a few times on the ones I grew last year. 



Mostly sweet alyssums:



Ornamental kale, and I don't remember what else:


Lots of colors of petunias:


Lots of bleeding heart blooms!



Mary walked back to get some plants to carry out.  We saw a robin near the hanging plants, and she said they sometimes make nests there.



Coleus:


Some of these in the next photo will need to be weeded before going out for sale, but the plants are doing well, and some are blooming.  Shortly after I took these, Mary nicely told me they close at 7, if I was ready to come pay.  I knew that, but when I looked at my watch, it was 7:20. Oops!  They were good sports about it, but I felt bad.



Here's Van, (I hope I spelled that right), holding the plants I just paid for.  I had bagged up all the asparagus that was left when I got there, and he told me he could've sold it to a couple other people.  (Van and Mary, if you read this, the first close up photos I took of Mary didn't turn out very well, and Van, I really like this one of you!)



Here's what Mary was doing as I was paying:  



I took these last 2 on my way out.  



This is the shady area where shade plants are sold from:



I took more pictures than these, and had trouble deciding which ones not to include, so I ended up with lots, but am assuming you scrolled by some of them.  :o) Here are my purchases at home:





I love B&B Greenhouses for the variety of plants, some of which are natives, and the fact that you can choose large or small pot sizes.  There are actually more plants in the smaller size.

11 comments:

  1. oh my...it is a huge nursery..every plant lover's paradise......we had a beautiful collection of plants but absolutely no rain this year made it impossible to maintain ....we are buying water every three days ,so hardly any water remains for the garden.....we still have lots of plants..wish it rains.i love visiting your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue~~ I enjoyed each and every photo and wish I could have jumped inside my computer screen and be there with you. Visiting nurseries is one of my favorite pastimes.
    Nice greenhouses and nice people, great combination.

    I've been looking for Amorpha nana for a few years now. I bought seeds last year but the plants were small when I planted them out last fall and they didn't winter over. But the glass is still half full and I'll just have to keep visiting nurseries until I find it. It's a tough life but someone's gotta live it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a huge place! I love the bed of alyssums and petunias! How attractive! I'm hungry for more plants! BAH!!!

    I'm sure they know their job and provide quality plants don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite a spree you've had there! I can see why - so much choice and such healthy plants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking garden center, and lots of fun buying plants and just looking at all the wonderful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What good sports they are. Gotta love local nurseries, don't we? I found a new favorite nursery last summer. I only wish I could afford to buy more plants from them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a nice place! Lots of plants to choose from.

    When we lived in PA we lived near a nursery that propagated their own and sold at wholesale prices. It was a wonderful place. Good selection too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a nice looking nursery, and of course every nursery needs a resident cat. The one I shop at, has a cute cat who likes to sit on one of the counters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great there. I love seeing pictures of other nurseries and what they're like. I always like these type, that are privately owned and lots of choices.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love garden centers thank you for sharing your favorite one with us

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love spending time in nurseries! I get lost for hours and spend money!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.