Thursday, February 18, 2010

A "Warm" February Day, and More Foliage

Last year, on February 23rd, I planted my first lettuce, radishes, spinach, and such.  It will be awhile before the snow in the veggie garden melts, as much of it is on the north side of the garage.  I don't know why I didn't think to take a photo when I went out this afternoon.  I'm thinking about mixing some seeds in with some sand, and throwing it on top of the snow.  I wonder if birds will eat the seeds.

FlowerLady mentioned being cold in the 40s, and Kate in the 50s recently.  Here in Nebraska, our "normal" highs for this time of year are the 40s, but we have had very few of those, with lots of days not making it over 28 degrees.  Today, it got up to 39ish and people kept saying what a nice day it was.  I did make it out to the front yard to take a few photos.  We are expecting 2 to 4 inches of snow over the next few days.

I'm thinking these are daffodils coming up in the bed on the south side of the house.  





There are still some green things, such as iris and snapdragons in the south sloped front bed.




The area by the curb is still snow covered.  I noticed someone has walked through the bed, so I later went out and cleared the snow off of the stepping stone path.  I hope it doesn't get slick.  Maybe we should put some sand in the path.





Doesn't it look like I took these photos on different days?  This is a perennial geranium that likes to spread in the raised planter around the tree.  I found out you aren't supposed to put beds around a tree like this, but my in-laws already had it there.  I don't think it's good to take it down if it's been there awhile.




I was please to see some pansies growing in a wash tub from last year have survived the winter so far.  They should be OK at this point.




This coral bell is looking pretty good.




Some of the lambs' ears look to have been evergreen so far.




I saved the best discovery for last.  I have some of my hellebores planted in the south raised bed where the daffodils in the first photo are.  These are right next to the house, so I'm thinking they could be their own little zone 6ish instead of 5b.  Most of them are buried with leaves, but these sticking out show flower buds!  I am so pleased, and even though it's cold out, I know spring is on its way.  (I wonder what has caused the hole in the leaf on the left side of the photo.)




I planted several kinds of hellebores.  I like the red on the leaves of this one, and I think that's a flower bud on the lower left, as well.



I hope we all experience nice spring weather soon, and our plants have survived and are thriving.  May all your seeds sprout and grow as well!

27 comments:

  1. Sue,
    Are you sure those "daffodils" coming up aren't crocus. We have some crocus coming up right now, should open with the mid 50s temps expected tomorrow. Last year we planted peas on jan 24th, not planted yet, too wet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so nice to expect little sprouts emerging from heap of dead leaves... ~bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess counting the days for spring is very exciting!
    Can't wait to see the winter carpet turning to life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they are Daffs look to wide to be crocus to me...you have some tough plants there!! Welcome Spring anytime now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning! I'm trying to remember if I have some crocus planted in there. You know, I think I do. I'll keep an eye on them and post them when they bloom. It is snowing and 25 degrees this morning. I'm riding to work with Larry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm wondering if the daffoodils aren't crocus as well...one of my favorite northern early spring bulbs! I always watched for them to peak up through the snow! Such a delight! Looks like spring is just around the corner! Your new shoots look like they're ready for the sun!
    So glad you stopped by my blog...I enjoy yours as well! The photos of your garden in bloom (sidebar) are really nice!
    - Kimberly (Garden in Paradise)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sue, We've got too much snow to even look about outdoors, yet. But... I'm just being patient. ;-)

    It's always encouraging to see that things are still alive, though. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting for you! Love the signs of SPRING!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to giggle a little bit at your excitement over a few touches of greenish foliage, after reading a few blogs with lots of green and flowers already! But that's just life for us northern inlanders, eh? I don't have much going on, though I keep admiring the blue-grey foliage of the Blue Star junipers I planted last year. A good buy, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sue,
    Just when we thought some of the snow would be melting away they tell us more is coming in. At least you got a glimpse of the ground and how some of your plants were fairing.
    have a wonderful weekend.
    Lona

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to see signs of life in your garden, Sue. Since I only started blogging a few months ago, I'm only just now getting a hint of what gardeners in the north have to deal with. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been out and scratched under mulch, inspected known daffodil beds, broken off obviously dead stems to see if there's green down there somewhere. I see you do the same.

    It's been uncommonly cold for too many days here. Spring is sure to get here eventually, marching northward day by day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Even though it's not all that pretty, the brown beginnings of springtime is so exciting -- finding new green shoots every day.

    That said... can I come live with you? We're months out from such joy. Usually the end of April before things go green for me. :((

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok, now I'm totally depressed - you have less snow than we do. And it's snowing again and we're supposed to get some major accumulation tomorrow night. I haven't seen my Hellebores in weeks. Sniff....

    ReplyDelete
  15. NellJean, I only lifted one leaf, and that photo didn't get into the post. The rest was just how it was under the snow.

    Kate and Mr. McGregor's Daughter, and whoever else from north of me wants, you can come stay at my house for awhile, and I'll go be a guest at FlowerLady's, NellJean's, Darla's, or whoever else has blooms and no snow in the next few weeks.

    I looked at images of crocus and daffodil sprouts the other day, and still haven't figured out which are in my photo. I know I have both in that flower bed.

    Thanks for all the comments! This is a difficult time of year, but I like it better than November, because I know spring is on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nell, What I meant was, not everything had been covered with leaves, so that's how they looked after the snow melted.

    Oh, and we are expecting 3 to 5 more inches of snow tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  17. ...and you know what I mean is that we're all looking for spring in all the right places. Come on down and watch the daffodils open while it snows again there. When it gets cold again we'll go farther south to Flower Lady's garden. We're sure to have more cold. DH has already decided that he suffers from Seasonal Affective Disease because we had several freezing nights in a row and it briefly snowed, lol. Today was nice and he could be outside with machinery, no longer SAD.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't believe that I've seen any bare ground at all this winter. Just snow. And now, more snow predicted for Monday. I just planted my first hellebores last spring and am looking forward to seeing them bloom for the first time this year. At this rate, it may not be until May.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like these photos - it will be great to compare them to spring/summer pics of everything in bloom! Looks like the hellebores are coming along.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooh! Look at all that green...I am really jealous. We still have quite a bit of snow but it is melting in our unseasonably warm weather (low 40's) this last week. I hope there is something green buried beneath all the white stuff in my yard!

    Christine in Alaska

    ReplyDelete
  21. hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

    ReplyDelete
  22. This has certainly been an incredibly long and unusual winter~ It's wonderful Sue that your hellebores are popping in their zone 6ish garden area! Wait till they open fully and it will feel like spring~gail

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Sue~~ Gosh it's been awhile. My apologies for not visiting lately. I admire your enthusiasm. There are signs of spring even in the midst of snow. Your hellebores will be blooming in no time. My fingers are crossed for a speedy warm up.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love hunting for the first sprouts of anything. Your first pic is great. It's like it seals the deal that change is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  25. spring is around the corner...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sue, I just 'limped' out to the back garden where most of the snow has melted (note, not 'all'!) and found 4 hellebores w/buds on 3 of them. Two plants had been there for a number of years, which I had split from one large plant last summer. Then I added several more plants. I see just 2 of the new ones, one of them has a bud on it, the other has none. But I think it's normal for them not to bud up much until they've been there a few years. I was just happy to see any buds at all. They are 'scraggly' though, and not opened...it's freezing out still, and I dug down under a bit of snow and leaves to get to them. I covered them back up when I was done looking at them because I want them to be uncovered naturally. Is spring just 3 wks away? I wish our weather would start to feel lke it!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.