Friday, February 26, 2010

The Decision is Made

I had asked to see the assortment of knobs that we chose from in the beginning, and the contractor told me that they use the ones at a local business that I didn't think to go to, as it is clear across town, several miles south of South Street, which used to be considered way south.  So, today, after work, I took the trek, and found some knobs I like that aren't as expensive as the ones I like the best from the internet.  When I found photos of the ones I picked out today on the internet, I found that the round knob is made of brass, like the expensive ones, and the pull is zinc, and actually costs less than the knob.  I'm thinking that's a good compromise, and they are very similar to the expensive ones.  They are called the same color, oil rubbed bronze.  Each company seems to have their versions of it, but these are pretty close.

So, here they are:




I do like the other pull a bit better, but for the difference in cost, this will be fine.  Oh, and a man at the store showed me the counters and edge we had picked, and a sample of the color of the cupboards.  I couldn't remember for sure what we had picked, but did guess correctly at the counter colors.  The main counter is not one I love, but is acceptable.  I dare not see if I can change my mind about that.  It will look good with the rest of the things we picked out.  I love the counter that's going on the south cupboards, though.  Larry thought it was too light for the counter around the sink, or something.

I got the grid ordered last night, but was given a message that there was no shipping to our area.  I talked to a woman on the phone today, and she told me that the shipping for a 4 by 4 foot grid would be more than the cost of the item, but she said she'd give me the fasteners to hold them together if I would like to get 2, 2 by 4 grids.  She was so nice about it, and I didn't want to start over looking, plus, anywhere I found the larger one, there would still be the matter of shipping.  So, she said they should be shipped on Monday.  I'll tell more of the story when I post the after photo.  We have 3 weekends left to get the kitchen ready for the remodel.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions and encouragement.  Now, I can stop obsessing and focus on getting the house in order.  Maybe, I can even find some blog reading time!


13 comments:

  1. You'll be so happy with your remodel! Looking forward to more progress reports.

    Cameron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, I think you made an excellent choice.

    The choosing is the hardest thing; sometimes I just let DH decide. He is usually right.

    I bet you are getting anxious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Sue! I haven't been keeping up lately with your remodeling project, but if you are ready to pick out cabinet handles and pulls, you are really making progress. I like the ones you chose--they remind me of the "farmhouse look" I've always liked in kitchen design. Making all these decisions must be one of the hardest parts of remodeling--aside from the mess and inconvenience--but fun at the same time. Can't wait to see it when it is all finished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, that's a major decision out of the way. Three weekends left to get the space ready for the guys to do their magic. I know you can hardly wait to see the transformation.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good choice I'm remodeling in December next..sk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you are making great progress, Sue. I am excited for you. I remember taht choosing all the fittings for our new kitchen was the hardest part. It's good your remodel will be finished so fast, as it will soon be time to work in the garden. Yoo-hoo! Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue, we recently changed all the hardware in our house to the oil rubbed bronze. Also replaced all light fixtures, faucets, toilets, etc. Looks like you're moving along nicely with your kitchen makeover. Good luck with everything.

    donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. good choice....can't wait to see finished product...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like your knobs and handles, Sue. I hope the process (now that the decisions are made) will go smoothly and you'll be happy with the end result;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's fun to catch up on the remodel progress. When I repainted my kitchen I thought I'd spruce it up with new hardware. About fell over at the price of the knobs and handles. Worth the effort to shop around a bit. I like your choices.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that style of pull is really nice, and it should wear well, and it shouldn't show up grubby and need severe cleaning too often. It all sounds like its coming together? I think sometimes you have to compromise on some colour or style or something because as a whole it would go better together, even if, individually you'd have rathered this or that one. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the knobs, Sue, it is going to be great! Sometimes there are compromises to be made, it is what it is and will be wonderful, no matter. Congratulations!
    Frances

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.