Monday, November 16, 2009

Some Indoor Blooms

Yesterday, after looking at lots of GBBD posts, I looked up into my garden window, and noticed my Arp rosemary was full of blooms. I took some photos to add a second bloom day post, but they didn't turn out well because there wasn't enough light.

I'm such a proud mama, because this plant survived winter in the window last year, and I noticed blooms January 1, and posted about that then.






Aren't they so pretty?

I have several kinds of angel wing begonias. This one was purchased this summer, and I can't find the tag to see what kind it is. It had lots of blooms this summer outside in the shade. It seems to like where it is on the shelf next to the garden window, and has a few more blooms to open before it is finished until next time. I forgot about it when I was taking photos for bloom day. (The picture of nasturtiums on the wall is one of my favorites.)




'Naomi' is called holiday, Thanksgiving, and Christmas cactus, depending on where you look it up. I got it on sale after Christmas last year, and it was still blooming. I actually had it in the garden window all summer and fall, when I looked online to see what I should be doing to get it to bloom. I found it was supposed to be in a cool place that does not have light at night. Well, that was a good place for it, because when I looked closer, saw that it was full of buds! Since you were supposed to put it in a warmer place after the buds set, I put it on the dog kennel next to an east window. I wasn't sure if it was going to be enough light there, but it seems to like it there.

I took the photos for bloom day on the 13, and by today, more had opened up, so I thought I'd take more to show it off.





Parts of Nebraska are getting snow today, and there is a chance it will come our way. Let it come. I am resigned to the season, but am looking forward to late December, when the days start getting longer again.

15 comments:

  1. Rosemary is one of my favourite herbs and my garden is full of it. My little grand-daughter loves the fragrance, and can be seen rubbing her hands through the plant.......

    Christmas cactus reminds me of my Grandma...she used to have one in a beautiful pot on top of her piano........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Rosemary. We're back in Arizona for the winter and have many huge bushes as part of the landscaping....Sometimes I snip a few twigs and put them into my hot bath water.

    Your pictures are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope to have my rosemary bloom this year, I quit pruning it! Love the cactus blooms. Snow? No way...Post photos, that's the only way I'll see any...and I love snow photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cactus....it is so pretty.
    Prayers, Bo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have an 'Arp' rosemary too, up by the mailbox. Beautiful pictures of the flowers. Your cactus is beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sue! We posted similar posts today. ;-) I have the very same begonia... and when I find out what it is, I'll let you know! lol. I love your Arp Rosemary! I see this is supposed to be a good plant for colder climates. You do bring it indoors, right? Where did you find it?? It's beautiful! Do you use the leaves for cooking?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never seen a rosemary with flowers, they are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sue, you seem to have done all the right things for your holiday cactus without even knowing it. I'm impressed with how many flowers/buds there are and I like the color very much.

    I can tell how happy you are to have your Arp rosemary in bloom and I can see why. Very pretty.

    You have a garden window.....lucky duck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh gosh your rosemary is most beautiful. You should definitely be proud. Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a beautiful blue on the rosemary. So delicate. I am looking at the indoor garden for blooms these days also. Keep warm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Indoor blooms are such a comfort when the weather turns bad. I love Rosemary too - it's a pleasure to crush the leaves to catch the fragrance!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish my indoor plants looked as good as yours. I know mine haven't been inside as long as yours and mine look pitaful. It would almost be more humane to leave them out for Jack Frost to take care of. I always have the best intentions when I haul them in. Only the strong survive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sue. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog yesterday and leaving such a nice comment. I have to look inside for blooms these days too and like you, I'm counting the days until the Winter Solstice so that the days will lengthen. Darkness at 5:00 PM is no fun! Your cactus, begonia & rosemary are all lovely. We have had three snowstorms in Colorado already and now they are saying a possibility for another this weekend. It seems like it's been winter for a long time already.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your indoor blooms! I don't have any so I really enjoy seeing yours. Very pretty. It shows the heart of a true gardener that you should have flowers inside during the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Christmas cactus is full and beautiful. I like the color of the Angel's wings. The pink color of the flowers and the form and deep green color of the leaves remind me of a Flamingo plant.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.