Saturday, November 28, 2009

Critters from the Last Few Days

I remember a page from a number book I read a lot to my son and daughter when they were kids. It said, "High in the sky, in the shape of a 'V', how many wild geese can you see?" This went through my head as I was snapping as many photos as I could. I didn't try to count them, though. A few pics turned out OK enough to post for Camera Critters, hosted by Misty Dawn.





This photo was taken through the window of our back door. I don't know where the sparrow got the sunflower seed it was eating. We haven't put food in our feeders yet.



From the Googling I did, I think this is a dark eyed junco in the vegetable garden. Someone has identified it for me in the past, but I don't remember what they said.



I keep reading about birds eating the seeds from a variety of flowers, and I had only seen some eating from my sister's purple coneflowers. I was so tickled to see the same junco eating seeds from my Rudbeckia trilobas, a smaller blooming Susan. I wasn't able to get a photo of it, but was pleased to have witnessed it.



I'm not sure which of our number of squirrels this one is. I don't think it's the light colored chested one. It let me take a number of steps closer to it, snapping photos along the way, until it tired of the game, or decided I was getting too close, and moved on.


To see more Camera Critters or to find out how to post yours, click on the button in the sidebar.

17 comments:

  1. Love the geese photos......I am so sick of squirrelsl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet photos! Yes, I think a dark eyed junco. You see them more in the wintertime. They like to ground feed. I always throw sunflower seeds on my back deck. I just love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yet another yes to the little junco. They love the seeds in your flowers ... so if you can leave them standing or bend them over. These little guys are usually in a flock. I love the geese photos... I always jump when hearing them to try to find the V ... you caught it coming and going. Lovely. Thank you so for your comments! Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your migratory bird shots are great. I wish I had a better camera when the flocks of Great Blue Herons flew over the house. Juncos are such cute little birds, and yes, those are Juncos you've captured. My squirrels have learned to fear me, so I can't get any closeup shots of them anymore. I like the look on that squirrel's face, like it's annoyed you're pointing the camera at it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delightful set of photos. I miss seeing that big V of geese, the little 'snowbirds' (junco) and that sassy look on the squirrel's face.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue,
    Cool photos of the geese, guessing you heard them before seeing them? That squirrel looks guilty as charged.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our juncos have just returned for the winter as well. Nice series of shots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sue! You've been outdoors with your camera... and having fun! :-) Please visit me tomorrow afternoon to check out a new post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photos of the migrating birds in that beautiful sky. Junco's are so cute, and Mr. Squirrel looks a tad put out having paparazzi snapping his every move. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the shot of the geese, especially the 3rd one. The squirrel looks like he needs a bubble over his head with the words "What are you looking at?"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good post! The geese pictures are a bit sad. They tell us that winter is coming for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have not seen any squirrels yet, but they will turn up as soon as I start feeding the birds again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great series of critters photos, the Junco shots are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A nice collection of critters!

    Sometimes the geese are so close when they fly overhead, we can hear their wings flap. Gives me chills every time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the geese pictures. It's funny how lines from childrens books can stick in our memory.
    I love the juncos, we've got so many in our yard now. They stick around here all winter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sue, so sweet how you added the memory from the book you read to your children years ago. Do you read it to your grandson now?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great critter shots. I loved your sky photos with the geese. There was such a forlorn feeling in them. I like that very much. Sometimes I like to feel haunted by the unknown and that is what those images do for me.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.