Thursday, August 20, 2009

Blooming Friday 8/21/09

I am loving these Menards dahlias that I forgot the name of. I had lost the package of 3 roots, or whatever they are called, and then found it about a week after they were supposed to be in by.



Black and Blue salvia:



This lovely iris is still blooming and has a couple more buds! Marnie thought it might be Immortality. I don't remember the name of the gaillardia, but it is having flopping problems.



I cut this Debonair Mum back a couple times this summer, but since it's taller than other varieties I've grown, I wasn't sure how far back to cut it. This is the first flower of the season to open, and it's earlier than I think it should be. It's the only mum I'm growing, as I 'm not a big fan of them, as they either spread too far and wide for me, or else don't survive very long. I planted this last fall, and like it better than others I've grown.



The iceberg floribunda rose I planted this summer is growing and blooming. I like that in a plant, when it does both.



I love these cockscombs that my neighbor friend gave me last year. There are 3 colors, and I'll post the ones in my veggie garden when I give the update from that.



The short toothed mountain mint is continuing to do well, and is loved by a variety of insects.



I've had this helenium for a number of years, and it has put up with being moved more than once. It has never gotten this tall before. I guess you can't tell from here, but it's over 4 feet tall. I think it's competing with the plants around it.



I know the name of this, but it's not coming to my brain. I've seen it on other posts. (Jill-O found the name of the plant. It's Cayopteris x clandonensis, or blue mist shrub. Thanks, Jill!)



Russian sage, black eyed Susans, liatris going to seed, amsonia foliage:


To see more blooms or link your blooms, go to Katarina's blog, Roses and Stuff.

21 comments:

  1. Your plants are looking great!! Your header photo is wonderful. :-) I looked up 'Black and Blue' salvia. I'd first seen it at Gail's Clay and Limestone. However, I think it may not be hardy here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely mix of flowers you have in your garden!
    /EL

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many lovely flowers in your garden!//Eva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lot of beautiful flowers. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sue,
    We miss Menards! That was our favorite store for house repair stuff and gardening supplies!
    Your plants are still flourishing, and looking great.
    I should have paid better attention to your blog stating you don't do that tagging thing. But you do have a wonderful blog, and I guess I wanted you to know!
    Thanks for all the comments you left on my blog the other day.
    Very nice!
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend.
    Rosey

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish you only knew how much I love your blog.. Sometimes I feel I'm wandering in my garden but then again mine has too many weeds..sandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. It all looks so good.I love that mountain mint.
    I am considering putting in a white rose next year. I like your iceburg.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the dahlia -- it looks like a sea anemone. The short toothed mountain mint is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sue I like the black and blue salvia, and the dahlias are beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, your garden is great! I love the new bed next to the road, what a treat for anyone who gets to walk or drive by! I'm jealous of your very large veggie garden - seems like I need to work harder to convice my husband to give up grass than you do! I love the mountain mint.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The black and blue Salvia seems to be such an interesting plant to grow - wish it would survive here too! And I also like the mountain mint...very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have an attractive mix of flowers. The cockscombs look unusual and the bees seem to like them. They are new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sue. All flowers is so big and seems to feel good in Your garden. The Black and Blue Salvia I never have seen before. Your first photo is a very beautiful Dahlian in white and light pink You have so many exiting flowers. It's not so easy remember the all name. /Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Immortality seems a perfect name for your white iris that is still blooming. That mountain mint is one great looking plant or is it a shrub?

    ReplyDelete
  15. nice blog,enjoyed reading ur blog.all the snaps are preety good.
    keep writing
    bye

    ReplyDelete
  16. nice blog,enjoyed reading ur blog.all the snaps are preety good.
    keep writing
    bye

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I love them all. Each one is so interesting and different from what I have growing. I think my favorites this evening will be the white iris and the white florabunda. Must be a white thing I have going on. All of them are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Black and blue salvia.. I love it.. =). I have never see it before.. You have many lovely flowers in your garden and the white iris is a darling too.. have a nice weekend.. Moa

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sue, I think your mystery plant is a Caryopteris x clandonensis. I just saw a picture of one in my Learn 2 Grow e-newsletter and I had to come over to your blog right away to let you know.
    Your mint is so pretty, I think I need to add it to my "must have" list.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just happened upon your blog...nice work on the garden! I'm actually a native Nebraskan (moved to Oregon a few years ago). Love the Mountain Mint...I've never heard of it before...where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely...great job on the garden...I'm actually a Nebraska native (moved to Oregon a few years ago). I especially love the mountain mint...never heard of it before, where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.