Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Foliage Follow-up

I put this post for Pam at Digging's Foliage Follow-up together a couple days ago, but forgot to schedule it to post.  In a few minutes, I plan to visit more GBBD posts, and expect to also see more foliage posts.

These photos were taken Saturday morning after the first snow of the season.

I don't remember noticing the skullcap foliage turning such a pretty red other years.


Amsonia 'Tabernaemontana', I'm pretty sure:


The Amsonia 'Tabernaemontana' here looks a little different from the previous one.  I just did some research, and think this one may be 'Illustrus'.  I'm pretty sure I did plant one at some point.  This one is split up the middle, I'm not sure why.  The false sunflower foliage is light brown, and the baptisia foliage has turned a nice dark color.


 I hope the 2 other Amsonia 'Hubrichtii' plants I put in other spots get nice and full like this one.


This is a variegated grass of some kind.  The liriope on the right is still green.  The brown stuff on the left is a goldenrod of some kind.


I just put my link in at Pam's place, and told her I hadn't included any grasses.  I forgot I had.  I decided to go ahead and add another photo that has some other grasses, which are growing to the right of the one above.  Larry insisted on getting these when we first moved here.  I have learned to like them.


I think I've shown the Euphorbia 'Bonfire' and rue for most if not all of the foliage follow ups.  That shows how great they look all season.  I am sad that the one I added in another spot in this bed died.  We had had so much rain the first few weeks after it was planted, that I think I forgot to make sure it didn't dry out later.  I'm not sure.  I did water some.  I asked the nursery about their guarantee, and they said they'd give me a replacement in the spring.


The foliage on the kale is looking good, and tasty, too.


I forgot what kind of sage this is.  I ended up not cooking much if anything with it this summer.  I'm glad they last so long in the fall.


This sage in the main herb garden looked like it wasn't going to make it this spring.  I cut it way back, and it put out some lovely new growth.


Some of the clematis foliage is looking like it thinks it's summer.


I am looking forward to spring, and hoping the new hellebores I planted this spring bloom, and the ones planted last year, get more blooms than they did this year.


I posted a similar photo of this area recently, but wanted to include some foliage from some trees.  This is a closer view taken in the front yard.  I've mentioned the vine next to the chair is a sweet potato vine that comes up every year, even though we were told it was an annual.  It dies back every winter.  Once it comes up in the spring, it grows so fast, I have to cut it back so that it will bush out and not get 20 feet long, twining all over itself.  Larry always cringes at the thought, but has learned that it is good for the plant.


Remember to go to Pam, at Digging's blog to see her foliage, and get the links to other posts about foliage.

26 comments:

  1. You probably take it for granted, but I'm captivated by the bright leaves of the trees in the background of your last photo. I love your grasses too! They're a natural for a garden in a prairie state, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have lots of pretty changing foliage Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sue, the autumn foliage are always enticing, but i cant imagine the lots of man-hours to go with clearing and cultivation and planting again to get the new look after the winter. It's a totally different experience here in our patch of earth with only just 2 seasons/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, Sue, these are just gorgeous! The snow really sets things off, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes a light snow really makes the colors stand out and here it does.


    That sweet potato vine is amazing. Who knew!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the grasses too...and the yellows of the plants are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had sweet potatoe vines growing so vigorously in containers that I was afraid they would grab my ankle when I walked by, but they were NOTHING like the one in your photo. Holy Smokes. Lovely shot of the fall colors in your neighborhood.

    Interesting how the snow is sitting on the variegated grass to the left of the green liriope.

    No snow here...only a few flurries.

    donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love your grasses. I don't have any. I might have to put that on my wish list for 2011. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, Sue, I love seeing how foliage changes in other people's gardens, sometimes I have no idea that some things have interesting autumn coloring...like that Baptisia...I didn't know they changed colors in fall...looks great with the Amsonia...a perfect pair!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Until spring it is clor and texture with the foliage. I have been out for a few days playing and actually found a mustard family plant in bloom today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sue - You have a lovely fall garden. Today we are snow covered. Happy fall -

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great colors !! Love Fall.
    Can't believe your sage in doing well in snow.
    The kale is looking good also.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not ready to give up on the garden - too many colors and textures still hanging on. My plumbago is bright red - and the leaves are golden in the sun. We can make it till spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Sue, Thanks for linking to my foliage post and for directing me to Pam/Digging. I didn't show any of my grasses and wish I had now that I see yours. Great pics. Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful colors!!! I love fall and winter!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sue: Your Fall garden looks oh so cold with that snow, neat colors.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I absolutely adore your last photo of the garden bench with the arbor behind it. I think it highlights your gardening style, Sue! I love Hellebores. I hope yours are nice and cozy in their garden spot, and bloom profusely for you next year. Looks like the sage is just about ready for Thanksgiving. I don't seem to have enough direct sun for sage, anymore. Hope your Thanksgiving is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's hard to believe that you've had snow and I haven't, up here in central New York. Each day without snow is a good day!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like your tall grasses. They add height and visual interest to your landscaping. And your kale looks fantastically healthy! Beautiful photos of your fall garden. Thanks for your comments on my recent posts!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, and I forgot to say...we are expecting snow this weekend, and we live in northern California (in the foothills east of Sacramento). This is really early snow for us!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I see you got some snow to stick there. Here in NE Kansas, it snowed that same day, but it didn't stick thank goodness. Not looking forward to winter. Thanks for giving us a tour of your lovely garden.
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sue I love that Euphorbia " Bonefire" in particular although all the foliage photos are very nice.

    It's that time again. And last year you were the first to comment on my Thanksgiving blog. Here's wishing you a wonderful Holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the three colors above the kale..Any new plants indoors this winter?Seems like a very very fast summer..sandy Have a glorious memorable Thanksgiving Day

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the rue and the euphorbia together--no wonder you keep posting them! :) Could your mystery sage be 'Berggarten'? (Just guessing because of the relatively large leaves.) I love that you can keep harvesting sage all winter long--I just break off chunks once the plant is frozen. Works with my general garden laziness! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Sue - love all the variety of grasses you have growing. I have just recently started adding them to my garden. I also like the post that you have infront of the trellis fence. Very Clever! I may have to see where I can find some for an area I would like to camoflage

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your Fall photo's. My gardens were like that 2 days ago. I was even out weeding a little. But today we have a foot of snow and 14 degrees. I guess gardening is over for awhile.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.