Monday, February 2, 2009

Making a Commitment to a Signature Plant


Way back in the beginning of December, Tina, from In the Garden posted an article about signature plants.  I read what other bloggers said they thought would be their signature plants, but this is what I said in my comment to Tina: "I am having trouble deciding whether I have a signature plant.  I love different kinds of amsonias.  They have lots of little blue flowers in the spring, but provide good looking foliage all season.  Am I saying I am good looking in all seasons?  I don't think so.  LOL So in what way do I identify with amsonias?  I'm not sure.  Also, I have day lilies all over the place.  They grow in a wide range of conditions.  Each flower blooms for only a day, but the plants have lots of blooms and keep opening up day after day.  I love day lily bloom time."

Last week, Gail, from Clay and Limestone posted about an area she wants to plant, and is considering different bloggers' signature plants.  She said someone should adopt amsonia. As I was reading that, I thought I should do that. Then I read where Tina let her know that I have posted about amsonias, and so Gail put a link to my blog.  

With that all said, I have made a commitment to my beloved amsonias, which I have already expressed my love for.  I thought of another way I identify with them.  We like to grow and keep going strong even if cut back.  I still like a large variety of plants, though.  I am such a collector!

Amosonia Hubrichtii June, 2008:


Amsonia Tabernaemontana, June, 2008:


14 comments:

  1. I am glad Gail contacted you Sue-she said she would and I'm doubly glad you identify with the amsonias. I always think of you when I think of the amsonias, but a close second was Mountain Mint. I am glad you adopted the amsonias as they are awesome plants and I love the one I have growing in my garden. Such a pretty blue and so resilient and adaptable. Thanks for the link love. I have added your post to my sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tina,
    Gail didn't contact me, but I saw her post today, made a comment on her blog, and wrote my post. Thanks for putting me on the list. I forgot to find out what to do about that.

    I want to find that new kind of amsonia she mentioned, too.

    Well, I"m off to bed, after having stayed up an hour past the time I'd planned to go to bed. I had to do some other things besides blogging after work, and still wanted my blogging time. I don't know what's going to happen when garden season is here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful plant Sue. I just posted my signature plant too. It did take me a long time to decide, and then to finally post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue,

    When I read Gail's post, I thought about your amsonia collection. Perfect for you! :-)

    Cameron
    PS I still can't decide on my signature plant, but I'm giving it a lot of thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are beautiful, I can see why you love them so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amsonia are wonderful, aren't they?

    What is the white-flowering plant in the second picture? Is that a sage?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amsonia are wonderful, aren't they?

    What is the white-flowering plant in the second picture? Is that a sage?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read about amsonias in many blogs and the more I read about it the more I start loving it. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amsonia look lovely, Sue, and after reading about your love of them, can see why you can identify with them. I will try to remember them when it's time for planting.

    I still haven't decided on mine, like Cameron. I read Kanak's post earlier and thought I better make up my mind soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had never heard of amsonia until I started reading your blog. They are very pretty, I love the feathery foliage!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just found your blog whilst searching the net. You have a lovely garden and I look forward to reading more. Good luck with your plant "collecting".

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is one plant I have never had in my garden...I will have to try and remedy that this year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a good idea. I tried to think what my signature plant would be, before until the elelphant-obvious answer came to me - our apple trees. We came to them, rather than the other way round, but still...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the comments. Sweet Bay, the plants you see are penstemons. I think they are war axe penstemons.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.