Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Blogging May be Good for Preventing Dementia- There's Always Something New to Learn! Post #100!


I am not completely satisfied with this collage I learned to make on Photoshop Elements, but my frustration level was reached, and I wanted to do other things with my evening, like visiting blotanical, reading others' blogs and catching up on the comments to the comments on my 2 blogs. Technically, this is not my 100th post if you include both blogs, but it's my 100th here, and I wanted to do something new. 

My mother-in-law grew moonflowers, or datura, and for some reason they quit reseeding. When we moved here, I decided I needed to grow moonflowers in her memory.  I couldn't find seeds or plants anywhere, but asked a lady at the farmer's market, and she said she knew someone she could get some from.  While I was waiting, I found a couple plants from a yard sale, but I still got some from her.  We've lived here 11 years, and have never had to hunt for moonflowers again.  I have supplied lots of seeds and seedlings to anyone who would take them. In fact, there are probably around 100 seeds in each pod, so that makes this post especially appropriate for my 100th one.  These pics are from the plant I moved to the new bed this summer.



You can see that datura flowers face up, while the lovely brugmansia flowers, mostly seen in warmer zones, face down.  They are poisonous, but at one time I was told it would make you sick, but not seriously, but the information on the internet says it could be fatal if ingested, so be careful where you plant it.  

13 comments:

  1. Well somthing good resulted from Blotanical's technical problems. It led you to my blog. I took down my panic post after I found out that it wasn't just me from some of my fellow Tennessee bloggers. I have been enjoying your blog for the past few minutes also.
    I love, love, love brugmansias and daturas. They are hardy here in Zone 6. Mine are not very old but there are some fantastic specimens in the area.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a good job with the picture. I have some of these seeds and will hopefully get them in the ground this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it turned out very nice! It's nice to have plants that remind of us special people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good to me! I like the composition.

    Cameron

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sue,
    I like your collage, and the moonflowers are pretty. It is nice that you were able to plant those in memory of your mother in law. I need to try doing a collage, haven't done one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your collage. I once grew moonflower... but I wasn't wild about the aroma. Have you noticed that? Or was I just being overly sensitive??

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice story of the night blooming jimsonweed. It is one of my favorites in the garden and a friend got me started with them with a seedling, just like you do. The collage looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Forgot to say-congrats on your 100th!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the 100th post! Ahhh! I love moonflowers too! Its thorny fruit is believed to ward off bad energy according to Indian belief. So you'd find it hanging in front of the houses or some keep it in their pockets! Yea I know what you're thinking! 'Wouldn't it hurt?' Tell me about it! It'd keep pricking you, but I remember keeping them in my pocket for a year as my parents forced me to (due to some bad time of mine years ago) and I got used to it! Of course, it's been years!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your 100th post! And I love the shapes and tones in the collage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats!! Lovely pictures. Do you have any suggestions for staring the moonflowers and the datura from seed?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sue, 100 posts! woohoo, that's great. I have enjoyed reading a good many of those. I love your moonflowers, it is on my list of flowers to have. Good luck with photoshop.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all the nice comments and congrats on my 100th post. The only time I smell the flower is when I'm up close, deadheading. I started to say I didn't remember an odor, but then all of a sudden remembered it. I don't mind the odor, but different varieties may have different odors.

    Yes, Chandramouli, I was thinking that would hurt to have a seed pod in my pocket.

    I just spent a bunch of time downloading Picassa 3, and then when it asked where to find pics, I thought I was checking "all over the computer" as the possibilities I could choose from but it took all of the pics and put them in the Picassa page dealie. I just gave up trying to figure out if the pics are actually part of Picassa, and if they have rights to use them. Part of the agreement states that you have rights to your pics, but they can use them, too. I am not happy about that, but will check on that tomorrow, because I have other things to do now.

    Donna, computers and blogging are lots of fun, but also can be frustrating, huh? I'm glad something good came from it, too.

    Thanks again,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.