Thursday, April 26, 2018

April 2018 Wildflower Wednesday, a Day Late

Here is my Wildflower Wednesday post for April.  It is hosted by Gail, of Clay and Limestone.

Oh, my goodness!  Spring seems to be finally here now. The plants have responded to the cold temperatures by not coming up as early as usual.  I am tickled to see them finally growing, and look!   The Virginia bluebells are starting to bloom!  This clump has been here at least five years, and has not spread very quickly.  It looks like there is a new plant next to it in the upper right of the photo.  I am glad to see that.


I was thinking they were native here in SE Nebraska, but see they are not.  They are in near by Kansas, though.  They are a plant for shade, and will go dormant when they are finished blooming.  https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=mevi3



I had also chosen other photos that I realized I had posted on last month, but for some reason they didn't upload for the post.  Just one did.  The Virginia waterleaf sure has grown since last month!  It is also one for shade or part shade. It is native in Nebraska, and quite the spreader.  The purple blooms are pretty, but the foliage itself is also.  https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=HYVI


I hope spring is going well for you!  Arthritis found my left knee this spring, so between that, and spring coming late, I am behind in gardening.  I just got the rest of last year's dead stems cut back, leaving a few inches for stem nesting bees.  Now, I need to dig up some plants for Gardening with Nature in Mind's plant share, and hoe up lots of weeds.  I hope all is well with you.

11 comments:

  1. Arthritis found my right knee and it won't stop raining. I am so very far behind also. However, it does not stop me from sitting with my heating pad and a cup of hot coffee enjoying your flowers. Which look great, by the way.
    Jeannie@GetMetoTheCountry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GRAMMAR MISTAKE! It is the weather outside not the arthritis in my knee that won't stop raining. Yikes!
      Jeannie, again.

      Delete
    2. LOL, Jeannie, I had to go back to read your first comment to see what you were talking about in the second. My brain, scattered as it can sometimes be, read it the way you meant it. I just started physical therapy last week. I hope it helps. I am also trying to eat more vegetables and fruits, less dairy, and fewer sweets. I am not consistent with it yet, though. I hope you are able to get out and garden this season.

      Delete
  2. I do love Virginia Bluebells. I might have to give them a try again. I planted several years ago and then a large boulder ended up on top of them! Happy WW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Your Va. Bluebells are blooming, too! What beautiful photos of them! Va. Waterleaf likes my woods, too. I don't mind them, but I think some people are less enamored with Va. Waterleaf. Yay, spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your Bluebells. I have about six planted, some foliage has come up, but no blooms. Maybe next year. Will have to read more about Virginia Waterleaf.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have got to get some bluebells for my garden. Yours are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found your wildflower post today on Wildflower Wednesday. (I blogged it for the first time too.) How interesting that both your chosen plants are similar to natives blooming here--not same species, but perhaps same genus. (Just the TIP of the iceberg for my learning--I know!). Borage family for the Bluebells, I see, and I think is the same for the very-blue-flowered Hounds Tongue near the bottom of my post
    https://lansinggardendesign.com/blog/2018/4/25/wildflower-wednesday-mid-april-columbia-gorge.
    (You don't need to read, just thought I'd show the pic instead of making you guess!) We have native Waterleaf types blooming here now as well--different species I believe, but look a lot alike. Interesting to read your comments, as they are fairly rampant spreaders here too. Anyway--I really appreciate your post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spring keeps trying hard to stay, but chilly weather keeps returning. Argh! Do you know I’ve never seen a bluebell in person?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither have I, but I was too embarrassed to admit it. A bit prideful I suppose.

      Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry.blogspot.com

      Delete
  8. Virginia waterleaf has vividly beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.