Wednesday, March 28, 2018

March Wildflower Wednesday.

When I took hodge podge photos for today's Wildflower Wednesday, hosted by Gail at Clay and Limestone, I had not remembered what I posted for February, so today's post is going to be quite similar.  Next month, I know there will be more to choose from, and it will be different.  One can tell there has been growth since last month, though!

I'm not sure why I chose three photos of prairie smoke geum, but I am pleased the plants in different parts of the yard are beginning to bloom. Here is a link to learn more about this plant.



A pasque flower is getting ready to open up in the background.


I don't remember whether this is one of the natives or cultivars of pasque flower I have.  I don't remember what the little plant on the left side of the photo is.  There is a closer look at it in the next photo.


It is a native ephemeral of some kind.  Do you know what it is?


I am not remembering what this is.  (I sure am using that phrase a lot!)  I wondered if it could be pussytoes, but if it is, it looks like a different kind from the one later in this post.  Do you know what it is?


The Virginia waterleaf is up now.  It is a shade plant that I keep from spreading farther than I want it to.


The short toothed mountain mints are doing well.


Here is the clump I know is pussytoes. It looks different from the other clump, with shorter leaves. I did read, though, that there are a number of varieties of this plant.  This may be field pussytoes.


Spring came a bit later this season, and we are still having more cool than warm days.  Between that, other obligations I have had, and one of my knees being in pain off and on, more on the last week, I am just starting the clean up of the flower beds.  Normally, I have had it finished by now.  I am glad to see the sedges greening up.


Wherever you are, I hope spring is going well for you, and you are enjoying some wildflowers!

9 comments:

  1. Pasque flower is so lovely...Happy WW. gail ps. we've had more rain than ever this spring, but it's getting warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to see all the plants putting up new sprouts in the Spring!
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pussy toes and Prairie smoke - such evocative names.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last year I enjoyed looking at your Mountain Mint. It seems to still be my favorite.
    Jeannie @ GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm amazed how you remember what everything is! I'm terrible at remembering what I planted where! It's so exciting to see everything coming back to life after winter isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, a bit of prairie goodness! I miss the excitement of the prairie spring, with everything leaping out of the ground, washing the landscape with green after the browns of fall and winter.

    Hope that knee gets to feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe you have Prairie Smoke and Pasque Flower blooming! You are way ahead of me this year. And we will be very cold next week, so I'll have to do a lot of blog visiting to see spring. ;-) That one photo you mention does look like Pussy Toes, but I'm not sure about the plant above it. Take care of yourself. Happy Spring and Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the comments, blogging friends! We are expecting a couple or so inches of snow tomorrow! I did get the plants in the other curb area cut back, but the leaves are still there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's fun to see them come early and I have to try to ID flowers every year...I can never remember. I have a mystery flower right now that I don't know. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.