Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Wildflower Wednesday, and Yard Update

It seems I have only been posting once a month, for Gail's Wildflower Wednesday.  I decided to include some photos of the yard as well this time. I have lots of blooms that are not native, but am continuing to replace some of them with U.S. natives a bit at a time.  I am not attempting to just have locally native plants, though.  A number of plants that do well here would not be found together in nature.  I am just tickled to have what I do, and to see the insect and bird visitors.  I didn't take these photos at a time when they were feeding, even though I have been seeing bees and butterflies on some of the blooms.  I learned recently that different kinds of flowers release their pollen at different times of the day.  I am not making it out at different times of the day as often as I used to, so maybe the numbers are not as low as I think.

Here is the front yard, where a silver maple tree used to be until hollow branches were found, and it needed to be cut down for safety.  The first wildflower I want to talk about is what appears to be the tallest in this photo, at the back by the bird feeder.


It took a few seasons, so I am pleased that the white wild indigo plant has been blooming for a couple or three years now.   I planted a couple more this year, and look forward to them growing large enough to bloom.  I recently looked up information to see what native plants are poisonous, after finding out some are.  I found out the baptisias are, but they are not severely toxic.  Here is some information on that.


 It likes sun, and is in a spot that does not get watered much.


There are a number of baptisia australis in the yard.  They are in sun, and part sun.  These have self sown, and I have been able to share some.  I am seeing a few bees on these.



On the east side of the house is a parent plant and its offspring that I didn't get dug out to move or share.  The shorter plant with pinkish blooms is a spiderwort cultivar.  The chair belonged to some neighbors who recently moved, due to the mother having memory problems.  I don't know where it will end up, but it probably cannot stay on the egress window cover.


Amsonias are also some of my favorite spring bloomers.  I just wish the bloom time was longer.


The previous photo was looking north and west.  This one is looking south, and there are more amsonias and another baptisia.


Aren't they so pretty?


I decided to go on a bit of a yard walk, to show the flower beds, always a work in progress.  The tall plant by the shed is a buttonbush, which has not yet bloomed.  I hope this is the year it does.


The golden alexanders are still blooming.


The bare spot by the bird is where I dug out a catmint last year.  I planted some native seeds I got from Gardening with Nature in Mind's (on Facebook) plant/seed share last fall, but neglected to write down what I planted, and I think whatever little things have come up are weeds.  After this photo was taken, I moved some plants from the yard to fill in the space.






I am relieved the rabbits are not doing as much damage to the plants as usual.  The phlox pilosa plants, PPP to Gail, have been eaten down to the stubs other years, but they are doing quite well this spring.


I am glad to be seeing monarch caterpillars on the various kinds of milkweed.


We started and will end in the front yard.  I trimmed back the golden alexanders because they were flopping due to all of the rain we've been getting.  I also cut down more stems of the cup plant than usual, hoping it will not hang over the sidewalk as much.


I am not making it to visit blogs like I used to.  I hope all is well with you, and you are enjoying time in your gardens.

15 comments:

  1. We may just be getting monthly posts now but I sure do enjoy seeing your gardens!

    I need to check my Missouri wildflowers book and see what I can add. I do have several natives from seeds in pots and need to find a location for them. Your gardens inspire me to do more natives for the pollinators.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the tour of your garden!
    I am trying to grow more natives, though the pretty non-natives are so tempting! I went to a garden center yesterday to look for wildflowers, and guess what I brought home - Coleus! Beautiful leaves! Great for Foliage Follow-up Day, but...
    I have an area that Virginia Creeper is trying to take over. If I can find enough energy I want to pull all of them out (there are still plenty at the edge of the woods) and plant more wildflowers.
    Happy Wildflower Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden looks lush. Good to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sue, I love the Baptisia and Cup plant....I can tell you have had a lot of rain. Everything is so lush and green. I need to check out the seed swap page on FB! Happy gardening and enjoy that sweet granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the white wild Indigo! Did you buy that somewhere or transplant it? I have three of the Baptisia Australis - two of them are in the sun and they do wonderfully, although they took 3 years to bloom, and the other is in the shade (planted by the former owner of the house). It never blooms. I'd like to move it but I know their taproots are very deep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the white wild Indigo! Did you buy that somewhere or transplant it? I have three of the Baptisia Australis - two of them are in the sun and they do wonderfully, although they took 3 years to bloom, and the other is in the shade (planted by the former owner of the house). It never blooms. I'd like to move it but I know their taproots are very deep.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your beds are looking lovely, Sue! I wish I lived near enough to tour them in person....

    I love Baptisia, too. Yours have really filled in nicely and are blooming gorgeously. Such a great plant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh to have full sun! Love your garden and how well the Baptisias and Golden Alexanders bloom. I also wish the Amsonias bloomed longer, but they make up for it by having nice fall color. I planted a few more non natives this year~ Pineapple sage for the hummers and African basil for the bees. Happy Wildflower Wednesday. I appreciate your posting for it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. and to have rain! Your garden is looking very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post Sue! I love Baptisia, have a number of them in my garden. The most recent addition one is Baptisia alba.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always admire Baptista in other gardens, but they take up so much space that I never have room to add any here. I guess I'll just admire yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Baptisia! Yes, they are gorgeous! I don't have any here because of too much shade, but I love to see them at the Arboretum. Your garden is beautiful in all seasons! Happy Wildflower Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your garden is lovely! I like that your habitat signs are posted by the sidewalk for all to see. You have some great natives. I love Baptisia too, mine are done blooming and have some big fat seed pods. Love the golden alexander also. It has a nice long bloom time in my garden. Have you ever found black swallowtail caterpillars on yours? Buttonbush is one of my favorites. Just about to bloom here in Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Two of my favorites--Baptisia and Amsonia! Yours are so pretty. My one Baptisia was decimated by voles (I think), and I thought it had disappeared. I bought another one to replace it, and when I went to plant it, I discovered the original Baptisia had survived after all, though much smaller than it once was. I'm happy to say, too, that I finally have Golden Alexanders blooming. Your garden is looking lovely, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was roughly 3 years ago that I stumbled across your blog, and I've been hooked since then. Thank you for your time and effort. Watching the seasonal changes and the progression of your garden over the years has been truly enjoyable. My small garden doesn't compare, but watching your garden through the window of the internet has provided motivation to continue to add native plants as the opportunity arises. God bless, and thanks, again.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.