Wednesday, April 26, 2017

April 2017 Wildflower Wednesday

After a few days of the 60s and 70s, we are now having 50s for highs, and there is a chance it will get down to 32 tonight.  I had forgotten to take photos to participate in Gail's, from Clay and Limestone Wildflower Wednesday, so I put a jacket on this morning and ventured out.

I had in mind to feature Fremont's Clematis.  I ended up posting a few others that are blooming now as well.  Jon Farrar's Field Guide to Wildflowers of Nebraska and the Great Plains said that Clematis fremontt is found only in extreme south-central Nebraska, north central Kansas, and east-central Missouri.


Its foliage is a bit different from other clematises.  I love the flower buds!


At a local plant sale, I got involved in someone else's conversation when I overheard them talking about this plant, and how the blooms vary from plant to plant.  Yes, I have found that to be true!


My plants tend to sprawl, and I sometimes tie them at the base.  I haven't done that yet.


They look pretty cool after the blooms are spent as well.


 This is a younger plant.  The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center shows a wider distribution than the book, probably because the book is about Nebraska and the Great Plains.


Some of the plants have this thicker kind of bloom.


Even this younger plant has the thicker blooms.




Gail, I am tickled that we have the Golden Alexanders in common.  This one is on the east side of our house.


Most of them are not yet blooming, but for some reason, the younger ones are ahead of the established clumps.  I have a lot of them dug up to share with others.


Heuchera richardsonii is one of my favorites, and is almost evergreen.



I believe this is Geranium maculatum.  I see Nebraska is not one of the states it is native to, though.


I used to have some non-native columbines, which bred with the native ones.  All of the other colors are now gone, but I'm wondering if these blooms are a bit larger than the native ones that have not mixed with other kinds.  There sure is a nice stand of them this year!


The Virginia waterleaf, a shade plant is starting to bloom.  I try to get the plants deadheaded before they can seed around.  I just noticed that these are of benefit to bumble bees.  I also noticed they are supposed to be divided in fall, but I have shared them successfully in the spring.


Well, it looks like I will get this posted before the day is over!  I am tickled it is spring, and we have blooms!  I hope once we get over this cold night, the weather will warm up again.

16 comments:

  1. You are so far ahead of me, but wow--a low of 32! I hope that doesn't happen. We are forecast to have a low of 34 tomorrow night, but even with that I brought in all my tender new plants and I'll wait until next week to plant them. The blooms on your Columbine are huge and beautiful! I love that plant, and have several that are coming back this year. I'm surprised that Geranium maculatum isn't native by you. Great photos! Great post! Happy WFW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blooms!
    I did not think the wild Clematis was much like the citified Clematis vines until I saw the seedhead - yep, looks like Clematis!
    Happy Wildflower Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue-I always enjoy your posts--so much to learn! And of course, your header photo is wonderful!
    Happy Spring

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sue, I love your posts. You have been my teacher when it comes to so many plants. Freemont's Clematis is new to me as is the Heuchera you posted. The weather is a bit undependable here, too. April is not to be trusted but, May is right at the door! Yipee! Happy Gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue, glad to see you posting again. Your header picture is simply the epitome of spring!

    I happened to have my 'Missouri Wildflower' book on the desk when reading and checked out the ones we have in common here: heuchera, columbine and geranium.

    We are pretty cool here too. It is 39° this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never seen a native clematis. It is quite pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea there was a native clematis--the blooms remind me of the 'Roguchi' I used to have. I just love these bell-shaped flowers. After years of waiting, I finally have some Golden Alexanders blooming, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are waiting for our rain tank to be delivered. Tall, plastic and ugly.

    A wild clematis is on my list, and that will be the perfect place for it to scramble up the trellis.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have decided that I've been missing a LOT by not visiting my garden blogging friends! Spring is a great time to see you!! Nice post, Sue!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That clematis is especially beautiful! I often admire that cup shape in a clematis. Hey, I just realized that I do have one! It's just so tiny that it has barely begun. I don't expect to see any flowers till next year or so.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness! What a difference one month makes in the spring. Your garden has gone from brown to bold green!

    I loved the way you jumped into someone else's conversation. One of my sons once said, the way to identify your passion in life, is to think, what subject would you interrupt two stranger's conversation to join? That is your passion.
    Jeannie
    GetMeToTheCountry.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fascinating post as I do love our spring wildflowers. We, here in southeastern Minnesota are just peaking with our early wildflowers - bloodroot, hepatica, et. all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That really is a most intriguing clematis, I've never seen one like it. And that Columbine is quite stunning. My red ones will bloom soon, if it ever stops raining out there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sue! What a great post! Isn't Spring wonderful? When we have the appearance of all our "homebody friends!?" ��SG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried adding a couple of little flowers. Didn't work!

      Delete
  15. Sue, what a lovely clematis, I've never heard of this type. The columbine is very happy, as are all the plants in your garden.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.