Wednesday, November 25, 2015

November Wildflower Wednesday

We are enjoying a mild fall, even though we've had a number of nights that have dipped down to the 20s.  I have mostly wider views for this month's Wildflower Wednesday, hosted by Gail, of Clay and Limestone.

We'll start out with the curb beds.  I've mentioned that I do the clean up in the spring, so that birds can have the seeds to eat, and whatever native bees and such who live in the stems can live safely over the winter.


I love the puffy seed heads of the various kinds of liatris.  I'm thinking this is aspera.


The spikes of puff on the left are another kind of liatris, I think, a cultivar.  I think the dark colored seed heads are black eyed susans.


I guess I really do like liatris seed heads!  Here's another clump, with New England asters on the right.


The plant on the left is a coneflower of some kind.  The plant in the front is New England aster.


The Mexican hat plants are still green and have some color in their blooms.


This is across from where a sidewalk would be from the west curb area. The wild senna seed heads are pretty cool looking.  I'm also seeing more liatris, stiff goldenrod, riddles goldenrod and some grasses in this photo.


The false baptisia on the south side of the fence still has seed pods that look good.


Heading into the area where the tree used to be, we see meadow rue and cup plant.


This was the last clump of New England asters to bloom, and I see it still has one bloom on it.


I found a photo of wild quinine that I liked better than this one, but decided to include both, because if I delete this, I'll have a wider gap that I have to edit the post to fix.  The gold in the back is Amsonia illustris.


The gray-headed coneflowers still have a bit of color.


These are sweet black eyed susans.


I just transplanted this clump of ironweed from another part of the yard this spring.  It did very well.


Here is the other clump of wild quinine.  I have it in several spots in the yard.  It has the longest bloom time of all of the flowers, and I see pollinators on it all of its bloom time.  It looks nice afterward as well!


I am still enjoying the Illinois bundleflowers.


Since we started with a view from the street, I thought we'd end with a view from the porch.


I hope all is well with you at the holiday season.  There are so many bad things happening in the world that are out of our control.  What we do have in our control is how we treat others.  I hope we all find ways to show kindness and respect to those we come into contact with.  This time of year is also a good time to remember to forgive those in your life who have hurt or offended you.

10 comments:

  1. Even in the midst of turmoil, we still have a lot to be thankful for.
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, it's really sad to see what once was a beautiful thriving flower bed dry up and die. This part of fall is always a time for me to reflect on how wonderful the Spring and Summer has been. I'm very thankful for the Winter rest as the plants are too but I know that rebirth is coming in the Spring. This Fall the weather has indeed confused the plants a bit and I was glad to see the killing frost finally come to tell the plants to go dormant. Now it's time to enjoy the holidays and then start planning for next year.

    Have a great Thanksgiving day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time for everything to sleep for next year. Love the shapes of the seed pods. We've had a mild transition to cold weather too. Good to not just lose everything at once.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden is a perfect example of why we shouldn't get too carried away trying to cut things back in the fall. You have so many interesting seedheads, especially the Illinois bundleflower, my favorite this time of year. Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nice to be able to see the beauty in fading flowers, isn't it? We've had a mild fall too, very pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all your seed head shots--I find spent blooms so lovely. I also enjoyed seeing your lovely and obviously wildlife friendly garden in the midst of the green lawn desert. Very similar to my neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the seed heads, too, Sue. And I have a tactile thing with the fluffy ones, like the Goldenrod, Joe Pye, and Hyssop--they're so soft. I harvested some more Blue Mistflower today, too. They're all so beautiful and soft and full of promise for next spring! I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank for that last paragraph. It would be great if more could read it and abide by it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All your wonderful wildflowers leave you with so many golden brown reminders, and hopefully lots of seeds for the birds. Rabbits ate my liatris down this year, so no flowers. Next year I will have to protect it. I'm hoping some of my wildflowers that have not bloomed yet will also bloom next year, and I'm about to start some seeds for more. They are fun to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of lovely seed heads for the birds to enjoy! Thanks for the tour around your garden :-)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.