Wednesday, October 28, 2015

October Wildflower Wednesday

We were busy today, getting in the last of the frost sensitive harvest.  I picked some kale, but what's out there should be fine with lows in the 20s tonight.  I just got a few photos taken for today's Wildflower Wednesday post before our granddaughter came over, and took a few more with her here, so decided to include some of her.  Gail, from Clay and Limestone is the host.  It's always fun to see what all wildflowers people have growing.

Most of the plants are finished blooming for the season, but there are a few showing color.  It was good to still see a bumblebee on the New England asters that are still blooming.  This is the only clump that still is.  I don't remember if it started blooming after the others.


The Mexican hats are still looking good, but I do not see much insect activity on them.


Granddaughter is 16 months old now!  I watch her four days a week, from 12:50 pm to 9:15ish pm.  The seedheads on the right are ironweed.  The grass is a cultivar of switchgrass.


I believe she is going to be a gardener.  She loves being in the yard, and likes to point out blooms and insects.


I was tickled to see a skipper today, too.


 Some of the pitcher sage blooms are still blue.


She loves to pick up things from this area, and carry them around.  The grass on the right is a different kind of switchgrass cultivar than the one on the other side of this area.


The gray headed coneflowers still have some color.


Here is today's harvest.  Sage usually survives in the garden at least until Thanksgiving, but I like to dry some just in case it doesn't.   Pole beans do much better in my garden than bush beans.  I have been able to make lots of soup with them and other veggies.


Most of the food here is from farmer's markets, but a bit is still from our garden.  We have to keep our dog's water dish on the counter while Granddaughter is here, so she can't play in the water.






One of these days, I will spend less time on FB, so I can catch up on my blog reading.  I hope all is well with you and your gardens.

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful to see a little girl learning to share your delight in the garden, plants, and nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that R! She's growing up in the garden, such a marvelous beginning for a child.

    I can hardly imagine lows in the twenties, but I guess they're coming to all of us, sooner or later. Prepared here, never ready.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your grand daughter is learning a lot being with you. What a cutie. Nice harvest still. A good variety.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy your granddaughter enjoys being out in the garden. I'm sure she will have many many happy memories of time spent with you.
    Enjoy that precious time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful!
    Have a great week-end!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful gardening legacy to pass onto your granddaughter. Happy Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a darling little helper you've got there! I sure hope my grandchildren get the gardening bug some day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful beginning for a child! How's everything? I hope all is well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.