Wednesday, September 28, 2016

September's Wildflower Wednesday

I've enjoyed seeing more and more butterflies, bees, and other pollinators the past couple of weeks.  I'm sad that a number of flowers are finished blooming, but am pleased to see the asters, pitcher sage, and some of the goldenrods blooming to showcase for Gail's Wildflower Wednesday.

The New England asters have self sown around the yard, and the pollinators have found them.  Even though I cut them back this spring, the stems got a disease on them.  Still, they are loaded with blooms, and pollinators.  This particular clump had the most sulphurs, skippers, various kinds of bees, monarchs, and painted ladies on it.


The most monarchs I have seen in a day this season was seven.  In the past, there have been more.  I hope next year is better.


How many hoverflies and bees do you see?


There have been a number of painted lady butterflies around, and now there are also some American ladies.  I can tell this is one because of the two large eyespots.  I see pussytoes is a host plant.  I am pleased to have some of that for them.


There have been several kinds of sulphurs.  I enjoy seeing bees and butterflies feeding peacefully near each other.


I was thinking this was a duskywing of some kind, but Cynthia, Gaia Gardener suggested it may be checkered skipper.  How cool!  I've never heard of that.  I looked it up, and think she is right.


The goldenrod, 'Wichita Mountains' also draws a number of butterflies and bees.  I just looked it up, and read that the blooms and leaves are edible.  Have you ever tried it?


I am pretty sure the bluish and orange butterfly is a gray hairstreak.


This was taken at a different time of the day when the area was shaded.


Pitcher sage is another one that self sows around the yard, and I love the blue blooms.  They usually have a butterfly or more on the blooms.  I cut most of the plants back late spring so they will be bushier and a bit shorter.


I have seen more silver spotted skippers this year than any other I can remember.


This has more spots than the American lady.  This is a painted lady.  I think there have been more of these than other seasons, too.


I just got a big leaf aster plant a couple years ago, and am enjoying the blooms.  It is spreading around a bit, and does not seem to be as appealing to the rabbits to eat as some of the other asters.  I looked at my last couple of posts, and saw that I'd already included this in one.  I didn't remember it had been blooming that long.  That's good to know, since there are some that do not have a long bloom time.



It is a host plant for several caterpilllars. Do you know what kind this is?


It has been a hot summer and fall.  I am glad the highs this week are going to be in the 70s, instead of the 90s like they were last week.  I am almost ready for winter to be here, so we can start over with spring, and hope for milder weather.

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos!
    Happy Wildflower Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic photos of all the creatures in your garden, Sue! I do love the pitcher sage, and I'm sad that I haven't seen any sign of it here this year. I'm afraid it may have fallen victim to some ruthless weeding on my part. I need to mark it better next time so that I remember where it is. I, too, welcome these cooler temps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on capturing the bee and butterfly sharing a flower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden is a smorgasbord of plenty for all kinds of pollinators! Thanks for the encouraging views of all the butterflies. I released 10 Monarchs recently, and I daydream that on their way to Mexico they're encountering gardens like yours. Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful flowers and how wonderful to see all the insect activity! Could your duskywing be a checkered skipper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! I looked that up, and it indeed looks like that's what it is.

      Delete
  6. Don't you just love all the flying things that visit our gardens this time of year? I was just thinking that your painted lady looks so different than mine, but now I see it's an American lady. I don't see those here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue, it is always such a treat to see your front yard and garden. Things are looking wonderful even as late in the season as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such fun and welcomed visitors to the garden!
    I could spend hours chasing them around for pics...lol!
    Happy Fall, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The most Monarchs we have seen at the same time this year is five. That's probably more than previous years. We've seen very few Painted Ladies though - there were more last year. I don't think I've ever seen a gray hairstreak. Lots of skippers, though, and a decent number of Black Swallowtails.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful photographs, especially the Monarch and Bumblebee. You do get some butterflies we don't see in the garden here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always a treat to visit your garden, Sue. You have provided much-needed habitat for the butterflies and they have rewarded you with their stunning beauty.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.