Wednesday, May 27, 2015

May's Wildflower Wednesday

I haven't been posting as much as I used to, but I am determined to at least post for Gail's Wildflower Wednesdays once a month.  I remembered last week, but the day came up, and oops, I didn't have my post ready.  I went out this morning, and took some photos, and here I am while our now 11 month old granddaughter is napping.  I watch her 4 days a week, and am kept very busy with her.  She is a sweet thing, though, and I think she is going to be a gardener.  She loves being outside, looking at flowers and getting excited when she sees insects.

The stars of the show so far have been the amsonias.  I decided I was going to look up the flowers I am posting about in my books and provide information on them like Gail does, but for some reason, they were not in books.  I know they are not native to Nebraska, but they aren't in the North American field guide I have, either.  They are in the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower site, though.

This is Amsonia illustris, 3 to 6 feet, about 4 feet here, native to Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas.   The site says the amsonias prefer part shade and moist conditions.  This one gets quite a bit of sun, and isn't always moist.  This spring, they have had lots of moisure, though, since we've broken a record for the most rain in May.  They are said to attract butterflies.  I'm not seeing as many butterflies as I was before all the rain, but I'm thinking there were some on the amsonia blooms. 


I wish the bloom time was longer.


I am pretty sure this one is tabernaemontana, but I could be wrong, because the Lady Bird Johnson site says it gets 1 to 3 feet.



I was thinking this one is also tabernaemontana.  I wish I had a better memory.  The false baptisa plants sure are doing well this season!  I have seen bumblebees on them.


These two plants have been growing next to each other for a number of years.


Amsonia hubrichtii is only native to Arkansas and Oklahoma.  They sure do well here, and look good in all seasons.



Leadplant has a good amount of native range, including Nebraska.  It is a slow grower, and sometimes needs protection from rabbits, but I'm so glad I stuck with it, and planted more once I figured out how much I like it.  It's another with blooms the pollinators are attracted to, and can be dried to make tea with.  This one is growing next to a day lily my mother-in-law planted when she was alive and lived here.  That's a penstemon in front of it.
 

Here's another hubrichtii growing in the front yard.  The yellow bloom is golden alexanders.


I managed to protect a clump of phlox pilosa, one Gail loves, from the rabbits.  This one may be a cultivar, though.  I planted some of each, and don't remember where each was planted. I sure am enjoying the golden alexanders!  They are a host plant for black swallowtails and are visited by native bees.  I have seen a few caterpillars on them in the past, and hope to this year as well.


When I hear reports of flooding and severe weather, I try to remember who I know from blogging who lives in those areas.  I hope all of you are OK and able to enjoy being in your gardens, or are able to make the repairs needed so you can.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Sue
    Your flowers are beautiful. I'm sure the bees are very happy there.
    I always admire people that write down what plant is where--but I never follow through with it. I do bury tags in front of each plant, but that's silly too, because then I have to dig around to figure out what I have.
    Have a wonderful day and thanks again for sharing your beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful plants. A feast for the pollinators and we all know that they need all they help they can get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful assortment of wildflowers!
    Happy Wildflower Wednesday!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the pretty blues, wonderful. It's okay if you post fewer plant posts as long as they're replaced with Ruby and the crew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's wonderful that you're spending quality time with your granddaughter! She's lucky to have a gardener grandma like you. :) One of these years I'd like to add Amsonia to my garden. I'm hearing so many wonderful things about it, and it looks beautiful in three seasons! Happy Wildflower Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to see a post from you dear Sue. Your blooms are lovely as always, and some I'm not familiar with.

    Happy Gardening ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Sue. Yes, it's hard to post often when life is busy. I'm the same. I only want to post in the garden season, but then I'm busy gardening! Your grandbaby must be keeping you very busy as well. Your flowers look beautiful. I love your false indigo - those blues!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't had time to post lately either--my mother was rushed to the hospital last week and is now in a nursing home for rehab, so I also haven't had as much time to garden either. The weeds may take over before I have time to get to all of them:) Amsonias are one of my favorites, too, and I agree I just wish they would bloom longer. But I do love the foliage, esp. the Hubrichtii in the fall. I haven't had much luck with Golden Alexander seeds in the past, so I bought a couple of seedlings this year--I hope they do well and multiply. I'm watching the flooding down south as well, especially since my daughter lives near Dallas. They're ok, but so many people have been affected by this--so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sue, Your garden is beautiful! I understand being busy.....There are some blogs I love to read but I get behind......Enjoy your granddaughter! You know you'll blink your eyes and she'll be in school! Happy Gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sue, Your garden is beautiful! I understand being busy.....There are some blogs I love to read but I get behind......Enjoy your granddaughter! You know you'll blink your eyes and she'll be in school! Happy Gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a couple of amsonias here, hubrichtii and blue ice. If they have anymore official names than that, I don't know it! I love the long bloom time on the blue ice. Bees love them, and I even saw the hummers on them last night. The hubrichtii I grow in a big mass, mostly for the golden fall color.

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely blog, im blogging again after a long time, and i found yours...blessings..

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely blog, im blogging again after a long time, and i found yours...blessings..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Garden blogging is so much fun but also hard because of the time it all takes. So I understand. Your garden and flowers are gorgeous. I like your bike in the garden! I have been looking for one and think I have finally found the right one. I'm picking it up tomorrow, and I have been duly warned it it old and rusty. Lol.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.