Thursday, October 23, 2014

Wildflower Wednesday on Thursday

For Gail's Wildflower Wednesday I took some photos of the area where the tree used to be, and included photos of fading foliage and seedheads as well as a few blooms.

I deadheaded the Gray-head coneflowers, and some of the clumps are reblooming.


Wild senna:


Little bluestem and Amsonia illustris:


Wild quinine:


Riddell's goldenrod:


Ironweed:


Golden alexanders:


Illinois bundleflower:


Liatris of some kind:


Meadow rue and cup plant:


Monarda fistulosa:


Narrow-leaf mountain mint and false baptisia:


New England aster, foliage of swamp milkweed, and maybe ironweed seeds in the background on the right.

Here are a couple views from the porch:



Our fall weather has been quite pleasant, and we are still getting some rain.  The birds have been eating some of the seeds, but it looks like they will have some for awhile yet.   I am watching our now 4 month old granddaughter 4 days a week.  I harvested some of the seeds while holding her over a couple days, and we found places to place some on the ground, and I walked around, trying to put a little dirt over them.  Maybe I will get some seedlings to share with others in the spring.  I hope your fall is going well!

16 comments:

  1. Dein Garten sieht wunderbar herbstlich aus. Ich bin ganz begeistert.
    Gruß, Anette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you are going to have a great crop of seeds for the birds this winter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so enjoy the look of native seedheads in the fall. I need to get outside and take some photos of them. And the foliage--on the Monarda and the Wild Senna, in particular--is so gorgeous with its variegated colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The birds must love coming to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue, I think I enjoy the fall plants almost as much as spring and summer. I particularly like the bundle flower seed pods. It is a beautiful color and shape.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All those seeds, Sue. The bundleflower seeds are so interesting -- not familiar with that one. P. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Autumn has been just beautiful this year. It's nice to enjoy the colors as the plants go to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I first heard of gray-headed coneflowers this year, and they immediately went on my list - so pretty! I love collecting seeds for the next year. I'm a sucker for free plants!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, on the gray-headed coneflowers re-blooming! This is why I usually don't cut down any of the plants in my native/butterfly garden--the fading foliage and seedheads are just as interesting as the blooms, and I think they look especially pretty covered in snow in the winter. I'm impressed you're getting any garden work done at all with babysitting 4 days a week. We watch my 3-year-old grandson one day, and it wears me out:) He did help me clean up the veggie garden this week, though--he was fascinated by the huge green beans I found still on the plants, but disappointed there were no more tomatoes to pick.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never saw leaf color on Monarda fistulosa like that. As always you have a great selection of natives. I would like to give that Senna a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you had a frost already? We have not, and still have a lot of green and flowers here. It seems late to me, but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've made a pretty garden where the tree once was. The seedheads and foliage look great in their fading stage and so much more interesting than the lawns we glimpse in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such interesting seedheads, Sue! I love collecting them; they transform a floral arrangement like nothing else can! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like we're at a similar stage in the garden. Lots of seed heads here too. So sweet the way the birds have been munching away at the echinacea seeds - just from one side - almost like they're saving everything on the south side for their second course. Our first snowflakes are scheduled for the 31st....can't believe the short summer is over so soon.
    Barbarasgardenchronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. The seedheads in autumn are sometimes just as nice as the blooms in summer. I'm sure the birds will enjoy the rest over the coming months.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Always nice to see your garden Sue and great to connect with others who appreciate the beauty and usefulness of flowers past their blooming period.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.