Sunday, June 23, 2013

Update on Area Tree Used to Be

There has been lots of growth since my last update.


When I retired as a special education paraeducator this spring, I was given a couple gift certificates for a local garden center.  I got some plants for the back yard tubs, but was pleased to find this trellis, which was made in the U.S.  I wanted something permanent with the gift certificate.  The plants on the other side of it were just planted this spring, and some are volunteers.  I had moved a couple non native plants to another part of the yard last fall, which created room for other plants.


This Illinois bundleflower was given to me by a local garden friend, and I was pleased to give her some Rigid goldenrod.  This will get tall and spread a bit, so it will poke through the trellis.  It looks like the seedlings in the area are Black-eyed Susans.  I'll have to decide how many there will be room for.


A little further in, the plants by the chair from the left, are Golden alexander, Rudbeckia subtomentosa, which was just planted this spring, a taller kind of Poppy mallow, Liatris pycnostachya 'Eureka', and Grayheaded coneflower.  The 'Eureka' was hand written on the tag, and did not have the puncuation around it, and  wasn't familiar enough with which ones are actually native, so I didn't realize it was a cultivar when I got it.


Back out by the sidewalk, the wild quinine blooms are opening up.


I always enjoy walking on one of the few actual paths we have in the yard.   The Heuchera richardsonii blooms were spent, so I cut them off today.  (The photos were taken Saturday.) The grass on each side is Switchgrass 'Prairie Wind'.   I've had the ornamental onion for many years, and don't know if it is a native one.  I actually brought starts over from where we lived before moving here 15 years ago.


This is looking to the left of the path.


Whorled milkweed is one of my favorite plants, both for the foliage and white blooms.


Facing south, and heading west, the main plants in this photo are Wild quinine and another Golden Alexander.


The Meadow rue plants got way taller this year than in the past.  See, they are taller than the light post!  I can't remember which Thalictrum they are, but I didn't think they were Tall meadow rue.  I have them tied up so they won't get knocked over in a storm.  The Culver's root plants have flower buds.


Turning back to the north, the Phlox pilosa, either a native one, or 'Eco Happy Traveler'.  I planted both, and can't tell which is which.  I'm sad that the Golden Alexanders are almost finished blooming.


Looking back to the south, the Rigid goldenrod isn't very rigid, so I tied it up around the bottom.  I've been doing that with some of the other plants, too.  The plant on the left is Zigzag goldenrod.  On the right is another Grayheaded coneflower.   Oh, and I see a Liatris on the far right.


Ironweed, a closer view of the Zizag goldenrod, and the plant on the right is not coming to my brain right now.  That's the Rigid goldenrod on the bottom.


We are continuing to look south, but moving along to the west.


I recently planted two Swamp milkweed plants from two different local nurseries.  The leaves on this one are wider than the one in the next photo.  I'm thinking either the one with narrower leaves was in more sun, or else one is really a cultivar.  That, or maybe there can just be differences in the size of the leaves on different Swamp milkweeds.  The seed pods of the Baptisias will be turning dark soon.


Well, it's hard to tell from these photos that these leaves are narrower.  The plant behind it is Amsonia tabernaemontana.  I figured out that the little seedlings below it that I thought may be something I planted are little Amsonia plants.


Let's keep heading toward the west, looking southish.


 I forgot what kind of Clematis this is, but it is not a climber.


Little bluestem grass, Wild Quinine, Wild senna, with Fremont's clematis, Poppy Mallow 'Logan Calhoun',


I've been enojoying seeing how much larger the Rudbeckia maxima is compared to last year, and it has more flower stalks.



Even though I am trying to have mostly native plants in this area, I keep the Agastache and Salvia, 'black and blue' for the hummingbird pair who have been enjoying them the last two years in a row.  I did put starts from them in one of the tubs, and may move these next spring as well.  The pink flowers may be Echinacea angustifolia.


We've reached the west side of the area.  I forgot to pull one of these clumps of coneflowers before coming in.  It looks like it has Aster yellows.  I'm just thankful most of them are healthy looking.


We are now heading north.  The Prairie Dock leaves keep getting broken off, I suppose by squirrels, so I put a cage around it in hopes that will stop.  The Joe Pye weed that I transplanted looks like it will grow larger than last year, but it will still be shorter than the parent plant.  The Clematis pitcheri reached the top of the trellis, so I clipped it a little, and it is starting to grow new side shoots.


Facing north and east, I still need to get the Painters' pallet and Lamium out of this area so the strawberries under the bench can spread into the area.


Facing east, this grass is Switchgrass 'Northwind'.


I am pleased several areas are starting to fill in.


I think the Purple milkweed is blooming at a shorter size than last year.  There is a new plant coming up, so fist thing in the spring, I plan on moving the Liatris that's too close to it.



Facing back west, the Purple poppy mallow plant is full of blooms.  I like it so well, that I planted several more this spring.  I planted several Lanceleaf coreopsises last year, and they are all full of blooms.  Some of them have flopped over, I suppose, because of all the rain we've had, so I tied them up.  I may grow lots of native plants, but I don't seem to want them to just do their thing.  Still, the pollinators don't mind what I do, as long as I use no pesticides.


Here's another Wild senna.  I am trying to decide if I'm going to keep the Yarrow.


Facing north, I love sitting here as often as I can, but lately, I'm up pulling weeds, dead heading, (and tying plants up) when the weather allows, and am inside when it gets hot.  I deadheaded the Penstemon that is between the bench and the chair.


Facing east, I've already named these plants.


Let's go back out and look at the area from the sidewalk.


Here's another shot of the Meadow rue.  The cup plant started as one clump last year, and like the Rudbeckia maxima, has grown lots.   I'm sure it will be quite impressive when it blooms.



Monarda fistula and Purple prairie clover.  A few of the other ones have some blooms open.  I am excited for all of the blooms to open.


This is Narrow leaf mountain mint.  I just planted it last year, and it looks like I will need to be careful that it doesn't spread too far.


I almost posted a close up of a fly on some blooms, but this one turned out better.  The other Mountain mints are not blooming yet, but soon will be.


I'm loving the Echinacea paradoxas!


Here's a wider view:


The front bed is still full of holes, but there are some smaller plants in there, and lots of seedlings of various plants, such as Mexican hats, Narrowleaf coneflowers, and what I was hoping were the Showy penstemons I planted last fall, but am thinking now, are some kind of Goldenrod.  I also put some of the baby plants I got from Prairie Moon Nursery in here.  They are in Minnesota, and the plants arrived the end of May, on a day that was too wet from lots of rain to plant in right away.  The ones I put in this area, I was able to plant the day they came, and those are actually doing better than the ones I had to wait a day to put in.  It got hot right away, too, so the plants are struggling, but I am glad there is starting to be some new growth.  The plant with the white blooms is a New Jersey tea that I planted last year.  I planted a couple more in there this year. 


We're walking west to see a bit what the area looks like from the street side.  The grass is Little bluestem, and it looks like it has done some seeding as well.  I'll have to find homes for some of the little plants.


In a few years, everything will be big and filled in, and I won't have to buy many plants.  I am excited to see the interactions between all the plants, and how they end up weaving around each other.  I expect, though, that I will be maintaining some degree of separation, though.  We'll see.  The grass here is Switchgrass 'Heavy metal'.  That's another Culver's root behind it.  I am planning on moving the reddish colored Euphorbia to the flower bed by the driveway next spring.


I've now gone from not getting posts done very often to doing 3 within a week.  I expect I won't be keeping up with that.  I am still having trouble getting to other blogs, but have been visiting those who left comments on my GBBD post, so am starting to make some progress in that area.  Happy gardening, folks!

10 comments:

  1. Hello Sue, I really enjoyed touring your garden tonight. I love all the variety of plants you have incorporated into the design. I love the grasses, too, they are always so full of movement in the slightest breeze. I wish my garden looked as orderly and well-tended as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Sue ~ Look at your overflowing wonderful gardens. I love what you have created.

    Happy summer and happy gardening ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a truly amazing variety of native plants! The pollinators must love you. On the Rigid Goldenrod, I find that these common names are often misleading. For example, I find that Ironweed isn't rigid either, despite the name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do your neighbors stop by to see your garden, and chat about it? I get that all the time! Sometimes I wish I could charge them for my advice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I know, it's so hard to keep up--no matter how busy the rest of life is. I haven't retired, but I have a much easier "work" schedule. But I still feel very busy and don't get to everything. It seemed a little easier in the winter to keep up with blogging and visiting blogs and bloggers. I love the Whorled Milkweed and the Wild Quinine! Oh, and the Purple Milkweed! I planted some this spring, but it's taking some time to get established. Your garden is spectacular, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was an amazing tour. So many plants in you garden and you remember what they are. Really like the taller poppy mallow and the rudbeckia maxima. Your trellis purchase was very good. Those structures really help anchor a garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything is just beautiful! I love your neighborhood.....it looks like everyone keeps their places nice and tidy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sue, If you have time, would you take a look at my last post and see if you can recognize the white flower? I grew it from seed but thought it was a Yarrow.....sure doesn't look like one and everyone else I ask can't tell me anything. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks, Sally

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for the input! Guess it'll continue to be a mystery....btw, since I took the pic of the white campion with pink center it has turned all white! It has to be the kind of soil it's planted in however, when I bought it from a lady who has a small shop out of her house she never said anything......

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.