Monday, January 16, 2012

Lots of Foliage

I am still fighting a cold, so it was too cold for me to go out this morning when the light was right, but I was able to go out and get some photos of foliage for Pam's Foliage Follow-up after in warmed up a bit.  I ended up taking a huge number of photos, and, as usual, included way more than most others put in their posts.  Most of the foliage is new, that normally wouldn't be growing at this time of year, because it has been warmer than it should be.  I am kind of wondering, though, if the new growth really has been there in the past, but I didn't see it because of the leaves over them.  Since we had to have our tree cut down last spring, there aren't as many leaves on the ground.

This plant is a dianthus named, 'Wink'.  Larry was good friends with the Wink it was named after.  She passed away about a year ago.  Her husband was an agronomist at the University of Nebraska, and named this after her.  I'm thinking he hybridized it.  It's a cute little plant that has small pink flowers.


The daylilies have new growth on them.  I wonder how they will do when we get winter weather.


I think this is knautia.


The arum is looking like it thinks it's early autumn.


It seems to be normal for the grape hyacinths to green up as early as fall.  I'm thinking these did.


The perennial geraniums are looking pretty good.  I'm pretty sure they normally die back in the winter.


These are the reblooming irises in the east front yard bed.


I've shown other hellebores, but not this one yet.  I am excited to see how well they bloom this spring.
 

Candytuft:


Yarrow:


I think this is a dwarf sage.


Well, this dandelion thinks it's time to grow.



I am pleased to see new growth on one of the Zizea aureas


I have been enjoying the little bluestem and switchgrasses I planted last summer.


Larkspur:


Columbine:


The crocus and daffodils on the south side of the house have grown since I posted about them coming up.



Honeysuckle:



I transplanted several 'Prairie Smoke' geums in the new planting area.  At least some of them look like they will make it.


Purple Poppy Mallow:


This may be a penstemon.


Helenium hoopesii:



Snapdragon:


Drumstick Alliums:


There is also some foliage inside to show.  The mother of thousands is a very hardy plant.


I have been showing Larry's rabbit foot fern on foliage posts for all three years I've been blogging.  He has to take it  downstairs to a shower to water it.  He does a good job keeping up with it.


The airplane plant has lots of little plants hanging from it.  These succulents were sunk in a washtub last summer.  I hope they make it to spring so they can go back out for the summer.  We take almost all of the plants outside when it's warm enough.


I've had this bay plant at least 3 years.  We had to cut it back one spring when it looked like it was going to die, and it took off again.


Scented geraniums don't do the best in the house, but this one is doing pretty well.


Two of the three rosemarys are doing pretty well.


I love angel wing begonias. 


In my GBBD post, I showed a photo of a Martex kitchen towel ad that I had on a wall in the kitchen, with the matching towels on a rack on the wall.  This picture is in the bedroom we turned into a dining room.  Can you see the foliage on it?


I am really not good at decorating, but I like some of the things I do.  The salt and pepper shakers were my mother-in-law's.  There are some differences, but most of the items on the buffet have something to do with what's in the picture.


I am looking forward to seeing what the foliage looks like on the plants next month.  Have a great week!

15 comments:

  1. Our gardens are so similar. Ready for the next front tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how much outdoor green you have for this time of year in Nebraska, Sue. It kind of reminds me of Austin with the unsnowy ground and fresh foliage poking up amid last fall's leaves. Thanks for joining in for Foliage Follow-Up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm amazed at how much green you have, Sue...just amazing! I really want to try some of the 'Prairie Smoke' Geum next year...I hope yours does well so I can see it bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Corner garden so nice and more beautiful garden shared on the site in this interesting and fantastic site that can be shared everything else. There have good cultivation in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue these posts always make me take a look outside which I normally don't do this time of year.
    It is amazing what greenery you see.

    Where is your snow?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aren't as many leaves on the ground!? Are you kidding? I think every tree in the neighborhood figured out we'd lost our tree and sent all their leaves to our yard. The sad thing is now that most of the yard's a flower bed, I can't rake them up. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm amazed at all the green in your garden, Sue. I've been noticing more green in mine this winter, too, but by the time I went out to take photos for GBBD, everything was covered with snow. What a lovely collection of houseplants you have--but I'm most amazed at how old some of them are. I can't seem to keep a houseplant alive for more than a year:)

    I had to chuckle at Larry's comment; sounds like my husband--you would think he'd be happy he didn't have to rake:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sue, you are such a trooper to go out in the cold when not feeling well to take photos. Luv what you wrote about the plant named Wink. At first, I thought the mother of thousands (which I've never heard of before) was a Venus Fly Trap.

    Hope your little boys are having a healthy winter. I need to get over and check out the grandsons blog. Phillip is in Mexico with his family on vacation this week. Who needs to go to school???Ha-Ha

    donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sue, you are such a trooper to go out in the cold when not feeling well to take photos. Luv what you wrote about the plant named Wink. At first, I thought the mother of thousands (which I've never heard of before) was a Venus Fly Trap.

    Hope your little boys are having a healthy winter. I need to get over and check out the grandsons blog. Phillip is in Mexico with his family on vacation this week. Who needs to go to school???Ha-Ha

    donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting to see the two views of the number of leaves, lol. I think you look with a more discerning eye for foliage than most bloggers. Things like dianthus, candytuft and bulb foliage will be there under the snow, waiting for spring. Hope your cold is gone soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to have a Mother of Thousands and I actually killed it. So that is saying something. I probably over-watered it. It was a very unique plant that someone has given me a cutting of.
    Hope all is well for you in NE.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you do have a lot of growth on your outdoor plants! The Daffodils and Crocuses look about ready to bloom. I'll look forward to seeing it all in bloom in the coming weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your photos ....everything looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I see you are having a mild winter too, isn't it wonderful! Hey, be sure to come by my new blog, I lost mine due to someone else's fraud! http://lifeinrobinsnest.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have a lot of foliage growing for being so far north. Have you had much snow this year? It looks like your garden is on its way to a beautiful summer all ready. :o)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments and questions from anyone, including those who do it anonymously. Some people find my posts by doing searches, and I like hearing from them. I guess spammers won't even read this message, but I will delete spam as soon as I see it.